Sign in to follow this  
dav

VR not well?

The VR has started to act a bit funny lately, not always but every now and then.

Symptoms : slightly more erratic idle than normal, occasional stalling, and the most worrying is that it seems to bogg down in first after coming to a stop and then pulling off. Only lasts until it hits about 2K-2.5K and then it seems to run fine. It has also been a bit noisy, well a little more than usual.

:roll: I am going to check under the rocker cover and have a look at the chains and tensioners even though they were replaced last year, mostly out of curiosity. And I might change the tensioner for the new type.

Any ideas as to what could cause the symptoms above?

Thanks

D

I think a VAG-COM scan is in order there..... Mine sometimes acts in a similar way and I think it's down to what mood the MAF sensor is in!

I wouldn't waste your time checking the chains if they've been replaced and the later (MK4) tensioning bolt is incompatible with the early tensioner pad.

Shite , oh well may as well live with it.

Just another one of those VR idiosyncrasies I have to live with I suppose. :roll:

nice one Kev.

Thanks

D.

Yeah I've given up trying to get the engine perfect, it never will be! It's OK 90% of the time though and rarely stalls, so I'm happy enough with that.

Interestingly, not even the R32 seems to idle dead smooth either and that pops and farts on the over run big time!

Therefore I can only assume it's a fuelling issue, rather than a mechanical defect....

At the end of the day, if we wanted a car that started instantly, idled as smooth as silk every single time, returned good economy and was quiet..... we'd all be in Daewoos!

It does feel like a fuelling issue now that you mention it.

Have you tried to clean your MAF like the 18T boys do?

They clean them with isopropylene (spelling), by removing them and placing in a bag with some “ISO” in it and giving it a good shake and then leave it to dry out .

I may try this.

Also do you reckon it could be a fuel blockage? Dirty filter or something?

"Daewoos" i dont think that i could do that, id rather walk or take the buss

Isopropynol.... doesn't make any difference really. Unless the MAF is known to be sucking filter oil off a K&N induction kit, I'd leave it be. They're delicate things!

Try the usual throttle body and ISV cleaning tricks as that can help. Make sure all the plug leads are on tightly and check the plugs themselves too to make sure they're all the same colour and not overly worn out etc.

You could try a new fuel filter but I doubt it's that.