Sign in to follow this  
Blinky16v

Changing the Oil Pump?

Bonjour!

Was just wondering if changing the Oil Pump was a straight enough forward job? I'm a bit of a joey when it comes to mechanics

Seen on another thread here that beeping sounds suggest low pressure, but also after driving the car for an hour or so the oil warning light occasionally flashes at me, might be a sticky sender switch or something but might change the oil pump to be sure as the cars on 90 odd thousand miles and the pumps never been changed...

Any thoughts guys?

doddle to do... but can be seriously messy... :|

Drain oil (duh!) and leave it draining for a good few hours to try and get as much oil out of the system as possible

Re-fit the sump plug

Undo the bottom gearbox inspection plate/cover

Undo the 12 or so 10mm bolts which hold the sump on

Carefully tap the sump to break it's seal and it'll come off (with some persuasion as the P/S and water pipes tend to get in the way a little)

Remove old sump gasket

Undo 2x 14mm headed bolts and the oil pump will drop out (probably soaking you with oil in the process :roll: )

Get new pump, fill with good quality grease and turn it to suck the grease in - This will get the initial pressure up a lot quicker and stop the engine from running dry for the few moments it takes for a new oil pump to get working

Turn the key'd drive so that it's in the same orientation as the one on the pump you've just removed and fit the new pump

Tighten the bolts to 45LbFt (I think, I'll check this when I get home)

Replace the sump gasket and re-fit the sump (bolts tighten to 11Lb/Ft IIRC)

Re-fit inspection cover.

Change the oil filter, fill with oil and try her out... 8)

Parts needed :

New pump

New pump splash plate (the old plastic one WILL break as you remove it to fit it to the new pump)

Sump gasket

Oil filter

Sump bung washer

Oil

A damned good shower/bath afterwards! :lol: :roll:

Have a good look at your sump before you start the work... New sumps only cost about £20, so if there's any sign of rust on the outside of the sump, or any deep scratches or dents, replace it... 8)

Henny your the man, big thanks forall that info m8. I shall don the overalls, arm myself with some tools and some abrasive soap and get stuck in when I get 5 mins away from this pesky work place!!

Cheers bud 8)

I'll dig out the part number for the oil pump splash plate when I get home... it's VAG only unfortunately and will probably take a couple of days to get in for you... :|

I'll also confirm the torque settings too as they're off the top of my head from what I remember them being when I bolted mine back together earlier this year... 8)

oops, completely failed to get you the part numbers and torques last night and I'm busy tonight, so I'll have to get 'em for you Wednesday night for you... sorry... :oops:

got some part numbers for ya

051-103-623 splash plate

N010-388-3 pump bolts x2

027-115-105c oil pump

hope that helps and as Henny says fairly straight forward job :D

G60 pump is G60 only. I guess it is an upgrade to most pumps already. The americans use 2 litre pumps I believe. vwvortex.com would be the place to look.

Gavin

Cheers Ant, saved me a job tonight... 8)

I looked into putting an uprated oil pump into my engine when I rebuilt it, and just about everyone I spoke to said not to bother as a new VAG G60 pump is bloody good! 8)

G60 pump is G60 only. I guess it is an upgrade to most pumps already. The americans use 2 litre pumps I believe. vwvortex.com would be the place to look.

Gavin

i guess that was were i read it, only difference is the drive shaft or something

is this exactly the same routine to fit a new pump on a G60 too then? or just the 16v's.

Is the sump available from GSF cheaper then...or would that be £20 at stealers.

Cheers.

Sanjay.

yup, exactly the same on a G60 (that's what I based the instructions on... 8) )

Sump price from Eurocarparts. 8)