Sign in to follow this  
fast x

Vr6 rebuild what parts do i need???

Hi chaps is time to get the vr rebuild can anyone give a list of things i need?????

all the main ones please cheers philip.

is it a full rebuild or just a top-end rebuild?????

best ppl to ask are the likes of kevhaywire or PhatVR6 as they seem to know the finer points of the VR lump better than most

If you're talking top end rebuild I'd recommend the following:

Head recon - valve guides & valve stem oil seals. Tappets too, if they're noisy! Remember to replace all gaskets & head bolts etc (VW do a complete head set which includes valve stem seals).

Timing chains & tensioners - replace both chains, both tensioners, tensioner bolt & all guide rails (Kev will advise using the later Mk4 Golf tensioner). I'd also replace the cam position sensor trigger wheel (you may regret it later if you don't... I did!).

Clutch & crankshaft oil seal while the 'box is off.

I'd also replace the thermostat & housing & maybe the crack pipe too. I did mine later, but it would be easier to do it at the same time.

It cost me around £500 in parts for that lot, but that included a recon head.

HTH,

Robbo

Plus 1000's if the bottom end is shagged, pistons, rebore, big ends, main bearings. May aswell chuck in a new oil and water pumps, sump gasket.

When I get a chance I'll post the complete list of bits I bought from mine. Mostly VW, running better and better now but will be the last car I ever have given the amount it owes me. That's if I don't wrap it round a tree in the meantime. :?

Use the following link for some pictures of what mine looked like, think there was definite problems with cylinders 1 & 6 :shock: which are normally the first to go. A mate of mine is a tool maker and hes got some bore guages to check the internal diameter and any signs of avalisation. Can't remember the figures now but they didn't look too bad, maybe half way to minimum limit on the bore diameter.

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic. ... 43&start=0

At the very least it looked like a rings problem, which means the block needed taking out for honing so I thought fcuk it and got the thing rebored to 82.5, and got matching mahle pistons and rings fitted. Could have been done cheaper but this is now a lifetime investment for me.

This all started with a bit of grey smoke when booting it, and on overrun (87,000miles btw). Thinking valve stem seals and guides I thought I'd just whip the head off, disassemble the head, get the machining done then put it back together again. :? Will be doing a proper compression test before I do anything next time, although I did have the starter motor compression test they do at the bosch tune-up garages saying it was fine.