Sign in to follow this  
vwdubs

17 Inch Wheels Rubbing

Ok guys, eversince I have had the car my front tyres rub slightly on the inner wing.

My solution is to obviously get some spacers but I do not really want to push the wheels out too far.

I have been reccomended Eibach spacers and at first 5mm, having thought about this I really think at leats 10mm is needed and can only find 8mm Eibachs at a price of about £60 a pair.

Does anyone know of another quality spacer supplier for the Raddo and has experience with spacers to know what maximum kind of spacer size I can use on a 17" to not look to out of place and can advise where to get them at a reasonable price.

I dont want to much do I :roll:

hi mate,

The limit you can get in a standard non hub-centric spacer is 8mm, this will be ok as the rim will still be supported and centered by the hub.

you will be suprised how much difference the 8mm or even a 5mm spacer will make to a rubbing wheel ! ie unless it is rubbing very badly then you may only need a 3mm or 5mm.

I have a pair of 5mm spacers here you can have for £25 posted or i can get you a pair of 8mm for £35 posted.

i would stick my neck out and say there is no way you will need a 10mm spacer for this problem unless your struggling to drive the car as it is :wink:

give me a bell if you like - 07968 620 318 danny.

What width & ET rating are the wheels ??

You'll need to take a wheel off to see the size - this will be cast into the alloy on the inside of each wheel. Maybe it will read something like "7j x 17 ET37".

Depending on the size, your front suspension may have an incorrect camber angle & need a 4-wheel alignment or you may need to fit spacers.

I'm running with custom made hub-centric 11mm spacers to clear my Brembo brakes... 10mm is one hell of a lot to space a wheel out, and as hutchyvw says, I'd be suprised if you need more than 5mm if it's just catching a little... 8)

One which incorparates a stub equivalent on the spacer to locate your wheels on.

yup, and on a Corrado (at least on a G60) the minimum thickness is 12mm due to the length of the center stopping you having a standard size hub diameter for anything less... I'm lucky that my Borbet Cs needed a spigot ring, so I cheated and got the spacers made to be hub-centric for the Borbets, not for a standard G60 wheel! 8) Sneaky, but effective and allowed me to have any thickness I wished... 8)

Many thanks for the update guys, Henny you coming to Southern Meet? Will be good to catch up with you guys....

Dunno, my engine is still in LOTS of bits on the floor of my garage :| Hopefully new pistons should be arriving at 16VG60's on Tuesday so I should get 'em Thursday and have the car running again next saturday... I'll have to see what happens after that as to if I can make any more events this year... ;)

Hello Hutchy,

Thanks for the offer mate, I will get a second/third opinion on Sunday at CCGB and contact you early next week m8, if I was to go with 5mm/8mm spacers I would need to get the bolts and 2 pairs.

just a note you MAY not need bolts, if you are getting 5+ full turns on the bolts that is fine. although if you go for the 8mm's it is LIKELY you will.

also you would not necessarily need a set for the back, it would make no noticable difference. ( to the drive )

8)