Sign in to follow this  
vr6paul

rev limiter on vr6?

Is there a rev limiter on the VR.

Have heard some folks talk about it.

Just wondered as the rolling road figure i have for mine have it revving v. high

cheers

Paul

Yes there's a rev limiter, it's in the ECU. You need a rechip to alter it (and even then it's a nasty hack), or a complete replacement engine management system.

I understand there may be a slightly different rev limit for early and late VRs, but mine hits a brick wall at about 6700 rpm.

right ok

max rpm on rolling road was 6310.

just athought as it was up close to it the other day and wondered what if any protection there was.

cheers

Oh yeah, no question there's a limit. I hit it pretty early after getting my VR - the engine is just so smooth that if you're not using the throttle you'd barely be able to tell it's revving hard. I found myself doing 70-ish in 2nd gear and the engine was spluttering and missing and we weren't gaining speed... Grab third and it's grab your coat tails back again and off we go...

I don't do that any more though - now that I'm used to it. There's not really any need to go about 5500 rpm on even a standard VR6, let alone one with a Schrick (3k -> 4k being the most useful section now :) ).

Im sure I read that on later cars the limit is 6250ish and early cars its 6750ish.

There's not really any need to go about 5500 rpm on even a standard VR6, let alone one with a Schrick (3k -> 4k being the most useful section now :) ).

Why not? :?

Im sure I read that on later cars the limit is 6250ish and early cars its 6750ish.

There's not really any need to go about 5500 rpm on even a standard VR6, let alone one with a Schrick (3k -> 4k being the most useful section now :) ).

Why not? :?[/quote:883f7]

You've seen the torque curve right? Tailing off above 5500? Might aswell swap cogs and dump it back at 3900 rpm and back in the best band, rather than revving the nuts off it. It's a big engine, with lots of big pistons...

You might be right about the rev limter figures, I can't remember them myself.

I don't do that any more though - now that I'm used to it. There's not really any need to go about 5500 rpm on even a standard VR6, let alone one with a Schrick (3k -> 4k being the most useful section now :) ).

If you've got 268 cams aswell as a bigger throttle, chip and VGI, the engine is still making power at and beyond that point. Just depends if you want to explore those revs or not. The 268s tend to encourage high revving as once in the VGI zone, it keeps pulling and pulling...... not too shabby below 3000 rpm either, those cams. :wink:

The torque curve may be dropping off after 5500rpm but the torque at the wheels near the limiter in 2nd will likely be higher than the torque at the wheels at any point in the rev range in 3rd, even with the Schrick.