Sign in to follow this  
Son of a Beesting

Coilovers or Damper/Springs

Hello

I was wondering what you lot out there think is better. Coilover or Damper/spring combo.

Obviously I want the car to be lower (not drastically) and the ride not to be too affected although not bothered about it being stiffer.

Dont really think I would do to much adjustment once I had them on. Just wondering what would make more sense. Money is a bit tight but willing to pay the extra if coilovers are substancially better. I had had the FK Konigsport coilovers recommended but if dampers the way to go what to look for?

Thanking you

If its ride quality and a lower car you want theres not really any difference between good coilovers and a good damper/spring combo.

Coilovers have the advantage that height can be changed to exactly how you want it to sit, or what I bought them for, so the car can be corner weighted to further improve handling.

One thing not to do though is buy cheap coilovers, your better off getting a good make damper/spring combo for similar money.

You wont go wrong with Koni, FK, H&R

Coilovers tend to come with harder springs than lowering kits.

H&R coilovers for example have springs that are half as stiff again as those of the H&R lowering kit.

One other thing - front coilovers tend to weight quite a bit less than the standard spring/damper combination (especially ones fitted with lowering springs...) and this does seem to result in slightly quicker turn in.