Sign in to follow this  
coullstar

Pump bearings?

I have had this rattling intermitent noise from the cambelt end of my car for about 4 months but it only used to appear when it was wet. I sprayed some chain lub into the pulley's which appeared to get rid of the noise. It varies with engine speed but used to go away when the car was warm.

It started to do it all the time now so I had a look lat night and the power steering belt appeared fairly loose. I tightened it (assuming the bolt direclty underneath is for adjustment) and this morning (whilst cold was compltely dry) the car made the same noise, if not worse all the way into work (40min journey).

Does this sound like power steering or water pump bearings packing in?

Dunno about Corrado 16Vs but MK2 Golf 16V PAS pulleys used to make a loud rattling noise when worn. If it wobbles from side to side, it's fecked. It's a weird pulley with a viscous rotating centre and quite expensive from VW, £121 last time I enquired :shock:

That's the most likely suspect if the C 16V uses the same PAS setup as the G 16V.

If not, I'd say Belt tensioner, Water pump bearings - in that order.

I went out to look again after the car had cooled down and started the car. Again the same noise started but a mate whos a v.good mechanic told me to try and spray a little WD40 on the belt outer surface.

I shit you not the noise instantly dissapeared :shock: . I will go out at lunch for a run and see if it is still like that.

It seems to be the same set up as my old Mk2 8v and I checked the pulleys quickly last night. Better not be expensive as front brakes are needing done as well as a service. :mad: