Sign in to follow this  
JBOB

Starting from cold

Hi ive got a 1.8 16v on an h plate and ive only had it 3 weeks but the last couple of days theres been a problem starting her from cold.

When i try to start nothing happens unless i keep the key turned for about 2-3 seconds, then it trys to turn over for an unpredictable amount of time before starting on only 2-3 cylinders then if you touch the gas its fine and purrs away as if nothing is wrong.

If i start her when warm then everything starts up right.

Anybody else had this problem.

Cheers J

Try turning the key on/off a couple fo times so the pump primes the system. If there is a leaky injector letting the pressure drop away flicking the key will ensure there is fuel available.

Gavin

you say

When i try to start nothing happens unless i keep the key turned for about 2-3 seconds,

Do you mean that the starter doesn't turn for that period? If so, it could be a problem with the ignition switch or perhaps a poor earthing connection at the battery or the starter motor. It would start better when warm because there is a lower load on the starting circuit when the oil is thinner.

Best wishes

RB

Yes the starter doesnt turn at first so i will try the earths

I will let you know

Cheers j

The earth at the starter was a bit loose so tight now and with some wd40 and a wire brush its clean now aswell.

Checked the other earth points and the ignition whille i was at it and they look fine but saying that car electrics were never my strong point.

After sorting the earth it does seem to start a little better but not as good as i would like. I have only had the car a month and i think it had been sat in the guys garage for a couple of months and im gonna give it a damm good service this weekend and see what happens from there.

I have the same problem, the guy I bought the car from had it stood for a long time !! does the lights come on ? :mad:

Hey, im with u as well, EXACTLY the smae prob, just with it not firing, then starting on 2-3 cylinders, and till u rev it it doesnt sort its self out, it would just stall, will be very VERY chuffed to get this one sorted cos its been like this for over a year!! can you buy new injectors? how much?

right dunno if everyone else with this prob has this, but when i do about 120-122, it stutters and cuts out till about 120ish and then just hovers about there, not sure what revs that is, tend 2 keep an eye on the road more than rev counter dunno if its fuel related or electrical related, but bloody annoying!!

oh and also, mine had stood for over a year 2 before i got it, and has always been arsehole 2 start from cold, wondering if this has something to do with it? :roll:

right dunno if everyone else with this prob has this, but when i do about 120-122, it stutters and cuts out till about 120ish and then just hovers about there, not sure what revs that is, tend 2 keep an eye on the road more than rev counter dunno if its fuel related or electrical related, but bloody annoying!!

Mine does this and its also just started to be a bit of a shit to start, im convinced that its my fuel pump cos its super noisy and recently its started to get less noisy so i think its dyin, could be causin all this crap, sound reasonable?

I would have said it is the pump. but as it will start fine when it is warm i dont think it is. I checked my cold start injector but it is not blocked. it is odd.

G

has any one changed the ignition switch? or the start motor relay?

am i right in saying that everyone with a starting problem have had the car stood for at least a few weeks before the problem begain?? :evil:

Mine the same. Lately it's got worse, just a pig to start, then sometimes runs on 2-3 cylinders and sorts itself out. The car actually runs fine after this. If I stop and leave it for 10 minutes, it does the same thing but starts on all 4 cylinders. If i leave it for a few hours, it will take lots of cranking of the starter and then may start on

try disconnecting the 5th injector... could be full of crud and jammed open... ;)

Also worth doing a quick'n'dirty flow test on the other injectors with a jamjar.... 8)

There's some useful info HERE

yeah also get the smell of fuel on startup.

It only happens when it is cold. Ie first start of the day. I was going to say it was bad fuel because both me and my dad filled up at the same filling station and his TT is now giving him the same problem. He then filled up at a different station and it was fine again. but if so may of you have had this problem for so long then it cant be the fuel ( i dont think).

Still dont have any ideas tho.

I always use optimax nothing else, and have used it for my other cars in the past with no problem.

pulled an injector out the other day, an switched on the ignition, and it shot a jet of fuel out for a bit till it kinda built up the presure then it stoped, poss cause?? only tried one of them.......

unless you are actually cranking the engine over on the starter, then just turning on the ignition should not make hte mechanical injectors fire... this is definately NOT going to help... :|

odds are there's some crud in them, or they've basically just worn out... :( You may find that getting them ultrasonically cleaned will help... I replaced the ones on my valver when I had it (was feeling flush at the time! :| ) and it made one hell of a difference... 8)

Check the rest of 'em and see if they're all the same....

According to GSF:

18753 FUEL INJECTOR-PETROL G2 16V 2/86 >10/91 22.00

18720 SEAL-RING-INJECTOR G2 16V 2/86 >10/91 0.50

£22.50 each inc seals... not bad really... damn site cheaper than when I did mine 5 years ago... :roll: :(