Sign in to follow this  
HiAsAKite

Stolen Mk1 Gti: Lhasa Green, Reg MGT543Y

Posted on pistonheads site.. hope no-one minds if I spread the word a bit..

""

Chaps,

I never thought I would be posting a thread like this, but here goes ...

STOLEN - Mk1 Golf GTi, 1800cc, Lhasa Green, Reg MGT543Y, from private driveway in East London sometime between Monday 4th and Friday 8th October.

Unusual circumstances, in that the car was NOT drivable. It lacked a battery and some of the ignition system (which is still inside my flat, along with both sets of keys).

It was mechanically in excellent condition (recent full rebuild), bodywork was average-to-good, known to have one flat tyre.

It was my pride and joy, registered off the road (SORN), although still MOT'd. Sadly, no insurance (as I never thought it would be pinched). Last driven on the road about 1 month ago, declared SORN when the tax ran out.

It displayed a valid parking permit, and parked on a private off-road drive, outside my flat in Bow.

My neighbour over the road can tell me that two blokes with some form of yellow truck bounced the front of it up and down several times, then "Dragged it off down the road". She (sadly) can't remember when this was, but thinks it was early last week, during the daytime (we have just been on holiday for a week, and came back this evening to find the car gone).

This is NOT the usual pistonheads fodder, as it was not a valuable car (a classic, valued at around £2000). However, it was highly prized by me, having been carefully restored over the last 2 years.

If anyone can help professionally - i.e. with contacts or good suggestions for ways to track it down, then I would appreciate any help which you can give. I am offering a cash reward (small, I'm afraid) for information leading to the successful recovery of the car. Failing that, should anyone offer you parts for a Mk1 Golf Gti, 1800, Lhasa Green, please take the details and let me know.

I am very keen to see this car back in one piece. Logically, I know it has probably been crushed, but I would value any assistance. I know it's only metal, and replacable, but I still grieve it's loss.

Oli.

""

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=129798&f=23&h=0

My mate had exactly the same thing happened on about the 15th of September.

His show standard MK1 golf GTi was stolen from out the back of his flat near Croydon. It had no engine in it (he had it out rebuilding it) and was left out the back of the garages in a private car park. They must have had a truck or trailer of some sort to be able to take it away.

Jay

Scum eh?...

Which means they knew the engine was missing and had planned the whole thing sometime in advance.. stolen to order maybe even?

Did it ever turn up again?

Nothing has been seen of it since. It has a lot of unique bits on it, some of which I made myself for my old MK1, so if anything ever comes up.... :evil: :mad: :evil: :p :twisted: :twisted:

nothing to do with wheelclampers or anything ?

I hear they are right tossers down your way

sorry to hear if its stolen,I had a motorbike whipped,a right shitter when you go down stairs with your gear and helmet ready to go and nae machine to get on :(

There was an update on the ClubGTI forums, and it looks as if the cops have (for once) got the situation in hand, due to somone spotting them doing it a second time (same road, 7 days later) and getting the plate details... Fingers crossed.

Cheers,

Tom

looks like its been solved... ..not to the owners contentment though...

reply from the pistonheads thread

""

More messages of sympathy - thanks to you all.

Mel and Ed, thanks. It sounds like the culprits will be caught, so some scant satisfaction there (see update below.) Whether they do anything suitably unpleasant to him is doubtful - I doubt that they will birch him publically, and then force him to return the market value of all items stolen (which would seem to be a most suitable punishment to me.)

Steve Furlonger - thanks for your message. The Mk2 has an alarm (added since you sold it), and is still there ... although I don't think that it will be pinched by this gent.

UPDATE.

I have had an update from the copper handling this one. Steve (Towman), you were spot on; both cars were take for their scrap metal value, and have been scrapped. The police have found the scrap metal merchant who purchased them both, and have the records of their destruction. I will never see my P&J again. Apparently the guy who took them was simply scouring the local streets for older cars with no tax and taking them straight to the metal merchant. The fact that they were legally parked on private property, declared SORN with the DVLA and not causing any problems was neither here nor there. They were destroyed within an hour of being removed. The fact that my Mk1 was a GTi in good condition didn't cross the scumbag's mind, it was simply £40's worth of scrap metal.

The police hope to arrest the perpertrator (sp?) today, and charge him. Apparently the process then is that he is tried and the police are confident they will get a guilty conviction. Once this has happened, I can then sue him, if he has the money, and he may pay it (or some of it.) Time this will take? Months, maybe years. And it will cost me money to sue him. And there is no garuntee of success. Jaded? Moi? They won't release the details of the person in question until after the court case, so I could be hanging on for a very long time ...

So, I think that's about it. Nothing much more to tell. If anyone is a lawyer and can help me out then that would be very welcome. However, I may put another thread up about this.

Thanks again to everyone who has posted here. It has been the next best thing to a book of condolences for the car. And a damn fine car it was too. I'll miss it.

""

What can I say?.. complete f'k'ng scum

That sucks, it really does.

But unlike so many stories about these cars getting stolen there is some compensation at the end of the line, and the possibility of getting the details of the person who did it after all the dust has settled down. Surely the favour will be easily returnable on this jackasses OWN car!