Sign in to follow this  
evoblade

Battery spitting acid

I have noticed over the lkast week that when my VR6 returns to the tick over the lights dim significantly untill the engine is reved again. When i got to work today i could hear the battery fizzing and it looked as though acid had escaped and sprayed over some of the engine parts. Can anyone help! Is my problem stemming from the alternator overcharging the battery?

Isn't there some kind of voltage regulator that prevents overcharging. Like you say if that failed then it would overcharge the battery- can't think of anything else that would boil the acid :?

Either the battery is dead or the altenator is over-cooking it as mentioned. You need to pop down to an auto-electricians and get them to do a test on the alternator to see if it's pushing a DC current. If it's pushing a waveform (AC current), the diode pack is dead and will need replacing. I think you can get spares for VR alterantors but the last car sparky I spoke to about it said they are almost as cheap to replace than rebuild, so that would hint at the costs involved.

Alternators start from about £90 from the dealer (exchange) for a 70 amp, up to around £200 for a 120 Amp one. Go for the latter if you plan on big ICE, if not a 70 or 90A one is plenty. There is a choice of Valeo or Bosch, so you need to mirror the details on your current one.