Sign in to follow this  
Dilated

Dilemma...

What are your opinions on this dilemma.

My steering rack is fookered. Just been quoted £558 to fit a new one on an exchange basis from IVC in leeds. The new rack they would be getting in is £240+vat.

This is a lot of money, so would you guys a) bite the bullet and shell out for the new unit and labour :( or b) try get hold of a cheaper one (recon or second hand whatever), and then get them to fit it saving me money in the short term, but running the risk of having to do it again at some point...

I'm skint and spending that amount of money is a bit of a biatch at the moment!

Whats happened to it mate- Too much play in the rack or leaking fluid or something :? Funny cos you don't hear much about those going wrong. That will be another thing I can worry about going wrong now :x

it's pissing out fluid from a join in the middle of the rack, which is an odd place as it's usually the seals that go. Think it's probably had a smack on the wheel at some point in it life which could cause the join in the middle the break slightly. Something ike that anyway. Had a big discussion on the leaky rack a while ago on here, but I managed to slow the leak right down so have just put off sorting it for a while. But now it's leaky pretty badly, and pissing onto the exhaust! Need to sort it before my car goes up in flames really... lol

Not driving it at the mo cos of this, but i'm gonna shield it from spraying on the exhaust tonight so i can get it to the garage next week.

Nightmare.

I know that Mr Haywire managed to get a brand new VAG one from ebay for about £150. Not sure who was selling it or if they sell more of them though.