Sign in to follow this  
dr_mat

Noises when clutch under load?

Anyone got any ideas why my VR might be making a kinda whirring noise when I'm trying to manoeuvre up a steep hill in reverse and the engine is under significant load. Anyone else noticed this? Seems to be coming from the front of the car.

AFAIK my engine mounts are all pretty A-OK, but I did wonder if the engine moved slightly under such an unusual load and maybe something's touching?

The clutch itself is new (ish), replaced with an LUK at Stealth earlier this year, it's only done 4000 miles (if that!). There's no sign of the clutch slipping (though I do smell some clutch lining each time I park up that DAMN hill!! :( ), and it's not unduly vibrating.

Guess I just wondered if anyone else had seen this or similar?

Cheers,

M.

The clutch is still bedding-in, which explains the friction lining smells. They tend to bed from the centre-out. After 6,000 miles on my old SACHS clutch (the first one :roll: ), the writing was still on the friction disc - it had hardly bedded-in at all!

As for the whirring, god knows..... whirring is a hard noise to pin-point and quantify on a forum :wink:

It's a hard noise to pin-point and quantify when it's happening right in front of you, too!

To be fair, any clutch would smoke with the treatment it was getting, it's a right little bar-steward of a hill, totally gravel and mud, about a 1-in-3 and pot-holed to hell. But it's the only place I can park at the moment, given that there's no spaces in my street :mad: and every other damn street needs a parking permit!! :x

When the clutch is fully bedded-in it won't burn so much. Are you on full lock by any chance when negoiating your parking space? Could be the PAS pump groaning in protest?

No, I wasn't actually, there's really only the clutch it could be, I was stationary, with the wheels about straight, just loading the clutch trying to climb up the hill. I'm going to assume it must be the clutch lining burning off that's making the noise, I don't see how it could be anything else. Perhaps it'll go away when it's all properly bedded in. (Next week then, if I have to keep parking up this damn street.. :mad: )