Sign in to follow this  
chrishill

mk1 golf campaign

I've just been talking to a guy who said hes got a mk1 golf campaign tucked away in his garage under some boxes, he recons its done all of 2000 miles in the last 10 years! I told him about the C campaign and how rare it was, but i wasnt sure if the golf was made in the same limited numbers, so whats the deal with them?

sounds like a bit of a rare one then if theres only 1000 of them! I'll have to see if i can get a look at it and confirm its a genuine UK one from the chassis number...hmm...if only I had a few grand to take it off his hands and get it back into good condition! sounds like a real waste if you ask me!

no real comparison tbh.........Golf mk1 campaign just about(though not 100% of them) applies to all A-reg Mk1 GTI's and even a few Y-reg ones qualify due to a certain chassis code........the C Campaign is a far far far rarer beast :wink:

oh yeah i dont dispute that, but if there was 1000 originally, and theres bound to be a few that have gone to the big scrapyard in the sky over the years making them a 'little' rarer, its got to be a pretty good find?

There were plenty of them up here,

Helios being the fav colour.

a good one could get £3k

ours was a non campaign,solid,163k,llasa green and made £1300 with a queue to buy at that price.

I would have another if it was solid and hadnt been meddled about with too much.

it handled even with 13' tyres :-P

I've always liked mk1's. my (at the moment very distant!) plan is to get hold of one in resonable nick, strip it out and stick a g60 in as a project/toy. like i say its a very distant plan, I have enough trouble keeping the C on the road cost wise to even consider taking on something else!

the campaign mk1 ones were the best. had the tinted glass, and some extra bits n bobs (the mfa, i believe)

they are not especially rare as such, but they are the best of the bunch, therefore most desirable. (more so when complete / not fucked)

MFA was standard on ALL 1.8 GTIs... :wink:

Campaigns got:

Leather steering wheel

Tinted glass

Sunroof as standard

Spotlamps as standard

A couple of colour options not available normally

And that's about it... As with Storms, these were run-out model MKI GTIs and it was possible to buy a MKI GTI with the same spec as the Campaign, but it would have cost slightly more...

There was (and still is) nothing remarkable about the campaign golf MKI except the fact that they were the last ones... :roll:

Oh, and having said that, I'd still like one! ;) :lol:

campaigns also had different rubbing strips on the side (bit like early mk2's)

and different interior door handles (they had a leather stitch-look about them)

i run mk1 golfs for about 6 years and the tinted glass was like hen's teeth to find.

a mk1 golf with a 1.8 16V engine is still a damn fine (and fast) car to drive. mine was bananas . . .

bit loud though.

Campaigns came in a limited variety of colours. These are Mars Red, Alpine White, Schwartz Black, Diamond Silver, Helios (Dark)Blue and Lhasa Green, the last three being metallic. A small minority of campaigns were available in Atlas Grey, normally considered a mk2 Golf colour.

The Campaign is generally understood to be the special edition, 'run-out' model of the Mk1 Golf GTI. It had the advantages of the fully developed Mk1 Golf, with the benefit of virtually all optional extras installed as standard. On the exterior these are a twin headlamp grille (with fog lights rather than spot lights), green tinted glass, factory sliding sunroof, and Pirelli P 6Jx14 alloy wheels. The interior featured a leather bound steering wheel, internal mirror adjusters and the MFA trip computer.

Not that I knew all of this before finding http://www.campaignregister.co.uk 268 registered findings out of the 1000.

ah, I forgot about the Pirelli Ps... :oops:

The first watercooled car I worked on was a VW Golf GTI Campaign in Lhasa green... 8) I've been hooked ever since and have owned 5 MKI Golfs since, 4 of 'em being GTIs, and one of which I still own along with the 16V engine which she had in her last incarnation! 8) :) She's also pretty much campaign spec, including the tinted glass, side strips etc, but no sunroof... :(

no sunroof is not a bad thing!!!

if i had the cash i'd buy another mk1 golf tomorrow.

been into them since my dad had one back in '84

popsmk12.jpg

dad racer - he fitted an 1800 engine, konis, zender body kit (INC "BACKFLASH"!!!)

and got it half sprayed in grey (an 80's thing)

popsmk11.jpg

no sunroof is not a bad thing!!!

It is when some muppet's put a nasty glass pop up one in instead which isn't even in straight... :(

I've got a nice electric tilt and slide moonroof to go in instead now though... 8)

a nasty glass sunroof isn't "no sunroof"

i had so many mk1's with them shit aftermarket sunroofs in. they rot, leak etc :evil:

i even re-roofed a mk1 for a mate due to excessive rot where a sunroof had been thrown in

the steel ones are ok. electric even better!!!! dope.

Mine had the tinted Glass,No sunroof ( thank christ as I wouldnt have bought it)

and spots in the grill,changed the filler neck and was debating changing the gear select and clutch cable

a faultless car really...

and

she loved it more than me,we couldnt think of what was more modern and a classic,

cue the Bannana mobile.

C

campaigns also had different rubbing strips on the side (bit like early mk2's)

and different interior door handles (they had a leather stitch-look about them).

Sorry mate they didn't on both accounts.

Rubbing strip along the side was the standard thin black metal strips only, and the door pulls on all later Mk1s were the same ie. had the mock stitch design in the vinyl.

If the cae had thicker rubber rubbing strips these were added as an aftermarket extra, never by the factory/part of the original spec.

no one going to mention the dimples on the door lock pins???? :wink:

Good point Rodders, the campaign had a sleeker profiled door pull pin while the earlier GTIs, 1.8s included had the mini mushroom profile :lol:

now you say that, i think the campaign i saw with those mk2 style rubbing strips, had had them stuck on after.

***** NICE :roll: *****

anyways the car i always wanted was a mk1 scirocco storm. i once bought a mk1 scirocco GLI. but it had literally rusted away to nothing, and i couldnt repair it. they are such a nice shape though.