Sign in to follow this  
goodridge

VR6 Cam Chain Tensoiner

What was waiting for me when i arrive at work this morning? Head Gasket on a Golf VR6. Great. Never the less the head was off before lunch and was stripped shortly after ( the 1st time I've done one) However, while stripping the chain gear off, noticed the guide that pushes up against the chain to tension it, was worn throught the plastic to the rivets holding it on to the metal. I lifted it off the metal with no force at all. Is this what you VR6 guys talk about? I've read it on here before but I work in the main dealers and it's the first one I've ever seen do it. Seems now I will Have to take the block out to remove the casing and change it! Looks like someones in for a big bill :roll:

What was waiting for me when i arrive at work this morning? Head Gasket on a Golf VR6. Great. Never the less the head was off before lunch and was stripped shortly after ( the 1st time I've done one) However, while stripping the chain gear off, noticed the guide that pushes up against the chain to tension it, was worn throught the plastic to the rivets holding it on to the metal. I lifted it off the metal with no force at all. Is this what you VR6 guys talk about? I've read it on here before but I work in the main dealers and it's the first one I've ever seen do it. Seems now I will Have to take the block out to remove the casing and change it! Looks like someones in for a big bill :roll:

That's the very same chain tensioner. You'll have to drop the gearbox to get in there, so it's worth putting a new clutch on at the same time. IIRC the going rate is somewhere in the region of £600-£700 for the whole job (inc parts). But I guess if you're charging stealer rates it'll be about double ;) :lol:

VW charge 10 hours for timing chains and that doesn't include the clutch.. (But the official procedure is gearbox off, rather than block out, at least that's what I was told..)

10 hours at my local VW place would be 850 + VAT, then you have to include the nigh on £200 for the chain parts, you're looking at a bill for £1200 !!