Sign in to follow this  
theRuler

broken pipe and erratic running

heres the scoop.

94 vr6:

facing the engine from the front, there is a metal box to the left of the rocker cover.

coming from that box is a pipe which leads to the throttle pipe (throttle pipe being the big one between the airflow sensor and the throttle body)

anyways the pipe that goes from the "box" to the big pipe is broken, just before what looks like some kind of valve. i have repaired this a couple of times.

does this need to be there?

can i just blank it both ends?

would this affect the running of my car?

i also have some running "issues":

from cold, there is a strong petrolly smell in the car. it sometimes takes a while to start, and stalls a lot. in fact it stalls a lot even when warm, it only seems happiest over 2000 revs.

i had the airflow meter tested on another c, and it was fine.

There are a couple of threads on this. I believe its the rocker cover breather valve and often breaks there.

If you order it from VAG you will get the whole inlet trunk- (the big pipe as well as the little one) £70 odd

Luckily they use the same engine in the Ford Galaxy- Ford sell the part separately for about £15- £20 8)

If you go to a ford parts place and look it up on the computer. Its listed on their system as part of the 'emmisions control' system :)

For the sake of £20 I would get it replaced

No worries- I picked the galaxy tip up here myself. It didn't have any effect on mine but it depends which side of the valve has the break. Its definitely not going to do it any good though because its effectively the same as a vacuum leak on the inlet side- like you say just pulling in a bit of air that the MAF doesn't know anything about

If I was you I would change the part- check for any other leaks in the pipework- then disconnect the battery for five minutes or so to reset the ECU. Then just take out for a blast- it may just resetup again OK

:wink:

there is a "fuelly" smell, and i have noticed the odd bit of leakage where the 2 pipes join the fuel rail (on the left as facing the motor) :oops: can't be good. but i cannot see where its coming from.

i think the lack of fuel pressure would hamper my running.