Sign in to follow this  
theRuler

freakin' road tax

They're cheeky feckers I taxed the golf on the 1st of april for 12 months £165 :shock: then five months later they send me a v11 saying that my tax had run out I phoned the DVLA ( what a joke that is!!) it's all pre recorded messages and took 20 mins to actually speak with a human ( if you can call them that!!!) they said send the tax disc along with a note to them and they would get it changed on the system so sent them a copy and have heard nothing since that was in August!!!. Then it came the time to tax the C as it had been sorn'd for the last 11 months, so taxed it for 12 months again and then 2 weeks later I get another V11 saying that my tax had expired?????????????? Great fecking system they've got these days I ve never had a problem like this before. I ve just ignored the V11 if they send out a £80 fine I will hit the roof!!!! Its bad enough having to pay £165 twice in one year for the sh@t roads we get from our money yet alone getting these effing reminders when we've already paid it's a joke!!!

LOL. I have hefty bills coming up, insurance, engine rebuild, tax, mot and the coilovers and discs I have to get, I will be looking at £3,000. My boss was trying to persuade me to buy his Citroen C3 HDI, bless him, In his words "It don't half move you know, 70mph up poll hill, 70mpg and £100 tax and £300 insurance" but he got a bit of a wake up call when he realised the difference between "a nippy car" ie, (good in 1st and 2nd gear which is useless anyway) as I glided past him, like cutting thru cheddar cheese. I hadn't even got to 3k rpm yet aswell!

My heart bleeds for you lads and lasses with only one car. As my wife doesn't work I have to pay for everything in our house including taxing, insuring and maintaining 3 cars. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I am on good money but it still grates as only 2 can be on the road at once. Mind you if you tot up the value of all 3 cars, it still comes up to less than Hennys annual engine bill. :mrgreen:

Going to sound like a Grandad but when I started on the roads it only cost a quid to fill a moped and my first quick car (XR3 in 1987) only held 14 quid from bonedry.

The Passat now takes nearly 60 thanks to the latest rise which was a weeks wage when I had the XR3 :roll:

Gavin

fire extinguisher at the ready.... :mrgreen:

I think it takes the pi** that a woman at works dirty smokey, on the road more then mine, noisy old ford orion pays almost half the tax i do.

Tax should be the same whatever or if not done on petrol, the more you use it the more you pay.

Sorry guys, I have no sympathy for you, I'd love to be able to say that my tax was only £165 (around 250euro)

Just to compare prices here in Ireland, for 250 euro you can only tax a car under 1200cc

My mk2 golf costs 484 euro for the year,

My bmw costs 539 euro

A corrado VR6 costs 1071 euro to tax for the year :shock:

all rates here

Ouch. What about your fuel duty though? Is it the same as UK's fuel duty?

No our petrol is cheaper, average about 95 cent a litre here in Dublin. But that's not much consolation to someone who has to pay over a grand to tax a corrado that might only get used the odd weekend....

Hm - for someone who does reasonably high mileage that would balance out, but as I do about 8000/year it certainly does seem like UK does get the better deal here. Well theres a first!

my first quick car (XR3 in 1987) only held 14 quid from bonedry.

The Passat now takes nearly 60 thanks to the latest rise which was a weeks wage when I had the XR3 :roll:

Gavin

fire extinguisher at the ready.... :mrgreen:

yeah i can remenber filling up my B-reg XR3i when i first got it (1990)for the grand sum of £12 too........(just when the low fuel light was on........even a XR3i had that).............8.8gals IIRC was the tank capacity now it would cost nearly three times as much :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: