Sign in to follow this  
theRuler

Front wheel bearing changing . . .

My front wheel bearings are a pair of hummers.

The car has done 150k, and they may be the originals.

Now then, on my mk1 and mk2 golfs, i could whack the bearings out (then new ones in)

(think of the "handy andy" song)

i am led to believe that on my C VR6 the outer CV joint is pressed in, and aint no easy thing to pop out of the hub.

the wheel bearings need doing though, and i'll put new outer cv joints on at the same time (i did the inners already - ooh that was fun)

any special tools i need to borrow for this?

dang i had been putting this job off for months as i thought that the cv joints were also pressed in.

i think i'll take the hubs off, take em to a garage (with a press) and pay them to fit them.

yup, having the same DRRRROOOOOONNNEEEEEEEEE noise from my G60 at the moment.... just need to get a weekend where I can strip her, get the bearings sorted and then refit and tracked up in one hit.... Getting VERY tempted to drop it at a local garage and let them do it 'cos the weather's soooooo crappy and my garage is bloody cold! ;) :lol:

shoot i havent got a garage

i'll be on the driveway - hardcore. i mean i'll be lying on hardcore. only beer will see me through that task . . .