Sign in to follow this  
badlad1888

Wrong oil?

I took my g60 to national tyres to get the oil changed 2 weeks ago, after 100 miles the engine started making allsorts of noises. I took the car to my local garage to see what was wrong, the first thing they said was that the wrong oil had been put into the car. National put fully synthetic in, my hand book says it should be multigrade. I phoned vw they couldnt give me a staight answer. Any ideas?

The car now needs a new bottom end :( hopefully national will be picking up the tab :D

Fully synth is way to thin for a 10 year old car, the general consensus is to by the Silva Syntha from VAG or GSF, its Semi synth, 10W-40 and about £10 a bottle :wink:

I just had my engine rebuilt and they used fully synthetic although I had always previously used Synta Silver which is semi synthetic i think. I have a guarantee for the work so will be covered if it goes!? :wink:

just had my engine rebuilt and they used fully synthetic although I had always previously used Synta Silver which is semi synthetic i think. I have a guarantee for the work so will be covered if it goes!?

Fully is probably best on a new / rebuilt engine, just on a 10 year old one if will leak out of seals and gaskets when it gets hot...

Supercharged, FULLY synthetic should NEVER be used in a newly rebuilt engine! you should ALWAYS run in a new engine on non-synthetic oil so that the piston rings can bed in, otherwise you'll never get a decent seal on the pistons/barrels and will burn oil for the life of the engine... :|

I'll be running my newly rebuilt engine on a good quality mineral oil for the first 3000 miles and then swapping to Synta Silver from then on... 8)

National Tyres for an oil change? God knows what crap they put in there.. definately stick with Synta and a VAG filter everytime!

Supercharged, FULLY synthetic should NEVER be used in a new engine! you should ALWAYS run in a new engine on non-synthetic oil so that the piston rings can bed in, otherwise you'll never get a decent seal on the pistons/barrels and will burn oil for the life of the engine...

Ahhh.... :oops: I thought most new VAG cars came with fully synth now tho? or maybe they change to that after the first service....

bugger, you beat me to my edit... should have said "newly rebuilt" engine... :)

it wasnt a vag filter i bought the car for £900 thought what the hell, keep it cheap. big mistake.

VAG filters are actually cheaper than the pattern ones...

£900 for a g60??

:shock: I thought he had a 1.8 16v...

If its a G60 then you've got to use a genuine filter! - there a bit more dosh than the standard Golf ones - between £5 and £10 depending on how much discount you get, problem is they don't keep then in stock any more...

bought the car of the boss at my work, it had sat for a couple of months so i offered him £900 and he accepted. 100k on the clock charger rebuilt by brm stage 2 ,pulley ,chip and air filter 2 owners him and his dad mint apart from alloys need refurb. :D already turned down £2000 for the car. only needed a bulb for the mot :D

Can I just clear something up.

synthetic oil does not have to be thinner than mineral oil. The viscosity of the oil is given by the numbers on it. I.e. a 15w50 (fully syn) is a very thick oil.

every time I seem to look at an oil discussion I see some one say that synthetic oil is thinner than mineral oil. that is just not the case.

A synthetic oil's main difference to a mineral oil is the oil film will take a bit longer to break down. That is why you want to use a mineral oil to run a car in.

G

Cheers Gman, I wasn't aware that's what the reason was, but I knew it was something to do with the properties of mineral oil rather than its viscosity... 8)

Can I just clear something up.

synthetic oil does not have to be thinner than mineral oil. The viscosity of the oil is given by the numbers on it. I.e. a 15w50 (fully syn) is a very thick oil.

every time I seem to look at an oil discussion I see some one say that synthetic oil is thinner than mineral oil. that is just not the case.

A synthetic oil's main difference to a mineral oil is the oil film will take a bit longer to break down. That is why you want to use a mineral oil to run a car in.

Yeah, I think we all assume when people talk about fully synth that they are using the Gold Syntha which is 5w...

Slight Hijack! Are the Mann Oil Filters that GSF sell ok?

Yes - they're identical to the VW ones in every way - including the internal valve. :wink: