Sign in to follow this  
dubster82

glovebox removal

Limber up 1st with a little light cussing, followed by a few carefully controlled bouts of profanity before starting.

Having removed the door of the glovebox and all the retaining screws (top and bottom). take the underdash tray off.

Then, having "limbered up" be prepared to push the body of the glovebox upwards while pulling down on the lower edge of the dash as you simulateously pull the glovebox out.

Simple really...

it goes back in a damn site easier than it comes out.... :| Gotta take mine out this evening and am REALLY not looking forwards to doing it again... :(

Have the plasters handy 'cos you will at least graze yourself if not sever something.... :roll:

You think you've got problems!!!!!!!!!!!!

This weekend my entire interior has to come out to replace for black. This includes replacing the dashboard!!!!!!!!! Not looking forward to it. And god I hope it doesnt rain!!!! :crazyeyes:

that's easier than trying to get the glovebox out without removing the dash... trust me on that! ;) :lol:

At least I'm gonna be in my nice warm garage with some good tunes on while I'm doing it! 8)

Hope you've managed it already but if not this might be of use.

Not a fun job but mine came out by simply removing:

-The two screws in the top lining.

-Remove the glovebox light

-Where the glovebox door hinges at the bottom there is a slide in long bit of plastic that fills the gap between the door and the box itself lift that directly up and behind that are two screws

-Try and get it so that it comes out more bottom first than top.

Hope you've managed it already but if not this might be of use.

Not a fun job but mine came out by simply removing:

-The two screws in the top lining.

-Remove the glovebox light

-Where the glovebox door hinges at the bottom there is a slide in long bit of plastic that fills the gap between the door and the box itself lift that directly up and behind that are two screws

-Try and get it so that it comes out more bottom first than top.

so these two screws will let you release the whole glovebox? i was frightened to pull that plastic strip off, it looks flimsy?

That plasatic strip just comes straight off. Just prise it straight upwards with a flathead screwdriver. Then there are two screws mounted on the upper side of the top lining.

That's the easy part though. Actually getting the glovebox out through the gap in the dash is a nightmare, because of those daft plastic ridges on the top of the box! I just chopped them off the top of mine when I had it out. They serve no real purpose (other than to annoy you). It makes removing + re-fitting the box sooooo much easier with them gone.

Yup, I just chopped them with a grinder attachment on the dremel. Dead easy!

got it out! blood sweat and teers...and some choice words....but it is out! the only 'ridges' i can see though are the X pattern plastic bits going across the width of the glovebox...is this what you mean? or maybe you mean the screw holes?

which bit do i grind off?

Come on you lot, it ain't *that* hard! I had to get it out when i replaced my heater matrix - now that's a c*nt of a job! I guess the ridge on the bottom is to make it harder for thieves to whip the glove box if you've locked owt in there. I just used a flathead to prise one side out, then the other (whilst pulling up and out). Oh, and a stubby philips head screwdriver is the sh*t when it comes to getting into all those tight corners.

Grind off the X shaped bits across the top of the box. Leave all the screw holes as they are. :wink: