Sign in to follow this  
billinjah

G60 running cold?

Hi guys im new just brought a black g60 after a few years off vee dubs missed the s/c roar too much! anyway the car ive just brought is running below 70 deg water temp all the time any ideas? i thought probably the thermostat but just wanted to check.

Cheers Bill

well on th motor way 70's about right, in traffic but higher. .

Hmmm... they should read around 90 when warmed up as thats the half way point on the gauge, and go up a bit in traffic but should always be around the 90 mark if everything is working correctly, may just be the sensors getting old but I would check the thermostat, and also check the fan isn't running constantly...

Sounds like a previous owner may have removed the thermostat.

Fan running all the time would not stop the engine reaching it's operating temperature as it's the thermostat that regulates the engine water temp. :wink:

the heater doesnt blow hot either it is slightly warmer than on the cold setting but still not really noticable. the fan doesnt run all the tim either.

Bill

the heater doesnt blow hot either it is slightly warmer than on the cold setting but still not really noticable. the fan doesnt run all the tim either.

Bill

As above - I reckon the thermostat's been removed :roll:

cool i had that in mind too where is the thermostat on a g60 engine same place as a golf ie bottom left at the front of the engine? any extras i need to get when doing the job? that dont come with a thermostat.

also how hard is it to change the small charger belt and the larger main charget alternator belt any tips??

cool i had that in mind too where is the thermostat on a g60 engine same place as a golf ie bottom left at the front of the engine? any extras i need to get when doing the job? that dont come with a thermostat.

also how hard is it to change the small charger belt and the larger main charget alternator belt any tips??

Make sure you use a new O ring with the thermostat. Its a crap job really access is pretty bad. I usually do jobs like that with teh charger out, you need to move the PS pumptoo if I remember correctly.

The little belt is pretty easy to replace, if you don't know when the charegr was last worked on I'd send it to the South Coast for a service. They replace the belt as a matter of course.

To do the drive belt you need to de-tension it by removing the damper by the alternator. Again, if I remember right, the PS Pump needs moving toget the belt out/in.

Definately a few jobs worth doing at the same time. It might be a good time to replace the water pump if it has done 100K.

I had all this with my Golf so I just did preventative replacements on my Passat.

Gavin

is the damper adjustable then? the charger was serviced by jabba 10k miles ago so should be good for a while are there any manuals about for the corrado that dont cost the earth? also the jabba receipt said that the belt was a wider belt is that the smaller belt or the main belt would i have to go to them to get one?

Bill

I have exactly the same problem with my G60. I replaced the thermostat last week and there has been no difference!!!! My heater too, is pants, i am now looking at changin' the heater matrix by pass valves - the ones between the two heater hoses on the front bulkhead.

Does anyone know how these work? Is it excess pressure or temp that causes them to open? If it is pressure i think i may change my expansion tank cap also.

Any thoughts anyone??????

is the damper adjustable then? the charger was serviced by jabba 10k miles ago so should be good for a while
I wouldn't bet on it - mine's done 20k since it was re-conditioned by Jabba and it needs doing again now !!

are there any manuals about for the corrado that dont cost the earth?
nope - only the "Bentley manual" which covers US spec G60's & 2.8ltr VR6's

also the jabba receipt said that the belt was a wider belt is that the smaller belt or the main belt would i have to go to them to get one?
That will be the small charger belt - usually only needs changing when the charger is re-conditioned.

I have exactly the same problem with my G60. I replaced the thermostat last week and there has been no difference!!!! My heater too, is pants, i am now looking at changin' the heater matrix by pass valves - the ones between the two heater hoses on the front bulkhead.

Does anyone know how these work? Is it excess pressure or temp that causes them to open? If it is pressure i think i may change my expansion tank cap also.

Replace the expansion tank cap anyway - may not be the cause of your problem but cheap & definitely worth doing.

The valves in the heater pipe are to stop the heater matrix from over-pressurising & consequently causing your passenger footwell to fill with coolant when the matrix bursts. :shock:

These valves do fail and reduce the flow thru the matrix to nothing. New ones can be bought from VW for less than 30 quid.

Gavin

jut noticed some thing else the pipes that disappear into the bulkhead are both hot i take it one feeds one returns the matrix? they were very hot but still no heat out of the heater havent done the thermostat yet waiting for bits to arrive just keeping an eye on things

had any luck jinx?? starting to bug me as i suspect when i change the thermostat it isnt going to work i want to start making my corrado look pretty not messing about with the heater!!!

also is the damper adjustable? need to change the belt when my order finally arrives at VW im looking at the damper scratching me head or am i just being thick??

I have a similar situation with my VR, the water temperature sits way below 70 during normal driving, in traffic it comes up to 90ish and holds there (as expected), when in free moving traffic is drops to the bottom of the scale again. Oil temp comes up to proper levels, so I expect engine is running at correct temps, but sender is a bit duff. I should have thought to change it when I replaced the ECU sender recently but I forgot!

I would guess that the heater control on the dash isn't working properly if you have no heat, perhaps worth while looking to see if operating cables on heater box operating correctly?

Not had much luck yet!! I too have checked the heater controls and the are working fine. The two valves mentioned earlier are £25 each from VW !!!! It really is starting to bug me now.

Is there a bleed screw on the heater matrix or its associated pipework anywhere? I have had a look for one but cant see one. This strikes me as strange since most cars i have ever worked on have bleeds all over the place to ensure there are no airlocks in the system.

Anyone got any ideas?

I think you can get the valves from GSF. Stevemac can you confirm or deny my claim? :mrgreen:
Errr - no idea. :silly:

I'll add them to my list of things to check tomorrow - my G60 has never had any valves fitted to the heater pipes at all :roll:

Is there a bleed screw on the heater matrix or its associated pipework anywhere?

Nope - the heater matrix is a sealed unit.

Just a thought - has your coolant been changed recently ??

G60's should always be re-filled via the top radiator hose or air locks could well be in the system :!:

Ok ill try that whats the correct way to fill the system? gotta change the thermo still as wellis access really that bad i did my old g60 years ago cant remember it being that bad a job.

Remove the top hose from the radiator & remove the expansion tank cap. Fill the system through the top hose & also make sure the radiator fills - easiest to use a watering can. When coolant system is full, re-connect the top hose & if necessary top-up the expansion tank. Leave the expansion tank cap off & run the engine for a couple of minutes Switch the engine off & if necessary, top-up the expansion tank again. Re-fit the expansion tank cap & run the engine until the radiator fan cuts in. Switch off the engine, leave to cool & again check the water level.

I'va filled it just using the expansion tank a couple of times now, just pouring slowly to avoid airlocks then starting up and running without the cap on until the thermostat opens then as Steve says, check it again and top up if neccessary.

I think the top hose method is only really neccessary for th VR6 as there are lots of small water ways etc but its a good tip with any car if you are having problems with airlocks etc...

Supercharged, ALL Corrados should be filled this way to prevent airlocks if you're filling from completely empty... filling from the expansion tank will fill the block from the bottom of the block rather than pouring the coolant through the block's chambers from the top as it does when you fill from the top hose...

You've just been lucky if you've done it that way and not got any air locks... :|