Sign in to follow this  
Oakley

VR6 Finally sorted *touch wood*

Hi All

Seems my C's Lamda probe was the cause of my fuel consumption problems. Replacing it has also solved my rev dipping and cutting out problem so thanks to all for your help.

Oakley

was it throwing a vagcom error? consumption is awful on my VR and this may be a cause. alternatively my heavy right foot may also be to blame ;)

I forgot all about the ISV as it seems that the lamda resolved my problems but for how long I wonder. I will still clean the ISV when I get the chance just in case. I have been told that the Lamda error code will be stored in the ECU and it needs a reset! I am also told just disconnecting the battery for 25-30 minutes will clear this code. My question is, which battery leads do I dis-connect, or is it just both of them?

pablo_vr6, how awful? And what sort of journeys do you typically do?

over the last 1000 miiles Ive been getting 22mpg - mixture of motorway and town driving but mostly Aroad/motorway

Oakley - not sure if unplugging will reset the codes mate might need vagcom to do it. If you do disconnect the batt just pop the negative off - no need to do both

Pablo,

The Vag was saying that my Lamda was intermittent, hence the replacement thanks to Reggit whi diagnosed the problem. Get yours on the Vag if it is heavy. Mine was throwing out 17mpg on the motorway @70mph which was extreme as far as I am concerned.

Oakley

LOL, I think you are probably right with that one Pablo, but you know if you drive a VR, it is impossible to lay off the gas when some dumba** clio tries to make you look stupid, no VR driver would stand for that!

over the last 1000 miiles Ive been getting 22mpg - mixture of motorway and town driving but mostly Aroad/motorway

That does seem a bit excessive. My normal commute is an 80 mile round trip, mixutre of slow moving / town driving also with motorway and unclassified country road. I'm not exactly light on the throttle myself (it's just not possible in a vr :D ) but I still average 28mpg or more usually (measured properly - not just the MFA reading). Unless you have a fairly short journey compared to mine, I would be a bit worried about that economy. When mine dipped to 22mpg average and below back in August vagcom reported lambda errors on mine (which doesn't necessarily mean it's the lambda though). Could be worth plugging vagcom in on a fairly regular basis for a while (if you've got your own) just to see if any errors are thrown up.

Oakley, good to hear yours is okay now.

I do 15 miles/day round trip and average 22-24 mpg. That includes motorway sprint each way. It's just not long enough to get these big engines into their efficient band...

I think you are right Mat, I would imagine it needs a bit of a longer run.

By the way, does anybody else see this, My rado when i am at a light or something and I am watching the Mpg, it seems to tick down slowly, very slowly, is that normal at a standstill?

Completely normal, it is an average reading of fuel used v's distance travelled. When you're at a standstill with the engine running you're using fuel and going nowhere, hence the average MPG is decreasing slightly.