Sign in to follow this  
whiteee

Replacing panels...

Have to fit new front wing, i think im right in errr thinking that everything just unbolts but what sort of sealant do i use to stick wing back on with... well not stick it on but u know what i mean????

I think Corrado doors have to come off to fit the wings... Yep, should just all unbolt, apart from the ones under the bonnet there will be some within the arch and probably a hidden one underneath which bolts to the sill, it will need a bit of persuation to get off as the factory sealent is quite strong, Halfords sell something similar to use...

(the above comes from my experience of changing a Polo coupe front wing...an ETKA diag will help to locate bolts etc...)

I think Corrado doors have to come off to fit the wings... Yep, should just all unbolt, apart from the ones under the bonnet there will be some within the arch and probably a hidden one underneath which bolts to the sill, it will need a bit of persuation to get off as the factory sealent is quite strong, Halfords sell something similar to use...

(the above comes from my experience of changing a Polo coupe front wing...an ETKA diag will help to locate bolts etc...)

just open the door then you can get to the only bolt on that side of the wing at the top it should be under a plastic cover.

How are the under-wing liners attached? I can see a bunch of screws around the edge, but is there a captive nut behind them, or are they going into metal, or what?

I need to remove one and I'd like to know if there's any nasty surprises likely! :)

(On the subject of wing removal the trickiest bit, from what I've heard, is the bolt under the sill, which usually rusts/gaks up over years of exposure to crap.)

On the subject of wing removal the trickiest bit, from what I've heard, is the bolt under the sill, which usually rusts/gaks up over years of exposure to crap

Yes, its worth cutting away the sealer so yo can get a socket onto it completly rather than risk rounding it!

When refitting, you don't need to use anything - the bolts will do the job.

If you're really keen though, bolt it all up and get the alignment right 1st.

Mark were the bolts are in relation to the panel, then use bituminous mastic along the top of the inner wing.

Then bolt the wing back on in your marked position.

Hi Whitee,

The bolts come offw ith a 10mm socket and spanner, you may have to remove the bumper to get these 2 bolts off.

I marked the position of the old wing before removal (See Pic)

you can buy sealant from professional paint shops, there is an adhesive sealant, but better with the normal stuff. I heated a piece of windscreen washer tubing and attached to the nozzle - to get into the joints.

You will have to remove the front bumper to get into 2 bolts (see pic)

The pics have all come out in the wrong order though!!

Cheers all for you help... good tip with masking tape - was going to ask a friend to help me align it - now i dont hav to pretend i hav friends!!! :D

Whitee,

There are a number of screws inside the wheel liner, usually easy to remove. I've just bought the clips for reattaching the liner to the wheel arch. the clips are good, they stop the screws scratching the paint when tightening!

As stated in previous posts, probably the most difficult job is getting the wing seperated from the body panel at the door. The sealant is mighty strong, I used an old joiners chisel to part the panels - from inside the wheel arch. Don't batter away at one section -ease it off a bit at a time down the section- gently, gently.

You may need some paint to touch up the scars. Its not visible from the outside so any paint will do.

I have a small compressor, and had primed and painted the inside of the wing before fitting, and blasted the inside with Waxoyl after fitting.

The only problems I had was removing the bumper, one of the bolts snapped, I'm still in the process of fixing that one!

Good luck!