Sign in to follow this  
jimborae

Guide to changing fuel filter???

Has anybody got guide to changing the fuel filter on 16v? I know it's supposed to be easy and I'm competant wiht a spanner but I can't find one & I dont want to start without reading one first.

In all the things I've read so far it mentions clips on the fuel lines but mine doesnt have any.

The problem is that the car has been sat for a year & just got it back on the road & its developed what I think is a fuel problem thats getting worse. It splutters and runs rough unless you floor it then it picks up but idle & mid throttle it just splutters so I think the filter is now clogged up.

Cheers Jim

Have a check where under the OSR wheel like Stevemac suggests. check the condition of the pump, fuel lines and pressure accumulator (cylindrical part with inlet and outlet on end). My one was pretty rusty, and had to replace a fuel pipe from the pump to accumulator (£25 from VW). Be prepared for about a litre of fuel spilling out of the pump!

The filter is connected to the pipes at either end with banjo bolts and can be difficult to remove, but they'll come off. One of the more difficult jobs is getting the filter mounting bracket on again, its quite fiddly!

skimask, thanks for the reply, you were right the banjo bolts were a bugger to get off & the filter clip is a pain to reattach. I need to find a right angled screwdriver to do it up properly.

Unfortunately it didn't solve my problem so I'm now thinking its either the fuel pump or injectors playing up. :(

I'm now thinking its either the fuel pump or injectors playing up. :(

Had a similar problem on my old Scirocco - similar K-Jetronic mechanical injection. Car was misfiring at low revs but felt great higher up the rev range.

Turned out to be the fuel distributor. I took it off, gently tapped it on my workbench & put it back on. I was lucky, the car ran fine after that.

The Internal valves had been sticking a bit.

Unfortunately it didn't solve my problem so I'm now thinking its either the fuel pump or injectors playing up. :(

Jim, Does the car idle properly, or cut out if you let your foot off the accelarator?

mine cuts out when i let my foot off the loud pedal

and sometimes it dont idle too good. sometimes its hesitant under 2000 revs.

i doubt the fuel filter has ever been changed, and its done 150k !!!

is the vr6 ff in the same place, OSR wheel?