Sign in to follow this  
LadyLupin-Black

Battery Trouble

Hi, I'm new here and you all seem to know so much, I hope you can help. Ok, that's the b*ttlicking over, here's the thing.........

I have a 1992 G60 and am having problems with the battery losing charge if the vehicle is not used every day. Not being used for three days will cause a new battery to be completely flat. I have put a voltmeter across the terminals and there is full charging (15) while the engine is running, so I'm guessing it's not the alternator.

I've been reading the forum while waiting for my account to be activated and noticed a post about an over-running rad fan. The fan on mine runs for what seems like too long and I will be getting this checked out. Can any of you think of anything else that could cause this. I was wondering about the immobiliser?

I am no mechanic and do not want to be ripped off by a garage, so could really do with some tips from fellow owners.

Thanx in advance!

:) Hi,

Try taking the bulb out of the boot light and see if it makes any difference. I had the same problem with my VR and doind that has "cured" it.

Cheers,

Phil

Just take the parcel shelf off to see if its staying on with the boot closed :wink:

Far to easy.

I'm tempted to delete this post.

:lol:

Just take the parcel shelf off to see if its staying on with the boot closed :wink:

Would it not be easier to just push the pinswitch with your finger. :roll:

I've noticed a post about an over-running rad fan. The fan on mine runs for what seems like too long

Fan is controlled by an "ambient air temp sensor". This senses the air temp inside the engine bay & can activate the cooling fan for upto 20 minutes after the engine is switched off. :shock:

Sensor is very small & mounted to a plate - just behind the Idle Stabilisation Valve on top of the cam cover.

The easiest option by far is to get in the boot and close yourself in (this may require the assistance of a 'friend').

You will then be able to clearly see if the boot light is working or not.

The easiest option by far is to get in the boot and close yourself in (this may require the assistance of a 'friend').

You will then be able to clearly see if the boot light is working or not.

:rofl: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: - Dom you nutter!

Steve, I didn't think the switch was accessible as its inside the boot lock, The thing you see that pushes down is just a damper to assist the boot closing...

The problem is that the boot light switch "leaks"... it allows enough current through to flatten the battery over a few days, but not enough to actually light the bulb (the switch and bulb act as a resistor)

Closing yourself in the boot, or taking off the parcel shelf won't help as the bulb may not actually be getting enough to light up... take out the bulb, connect in a multimeter instead which is on your parcel shelf and see if there's any voltage there when the tailgate's shut... if there's any voltage at all, there's a problem with the switch... 8)

The problem is that the boot light switch "leaks"... it allows enough current through to flatten the battery over a few days, but not enough to actually light the bulb (the switch and bulb act as a resistor)

Closing yourself in the boot, or taking off the parcel shelf won't help as the bulb may not actually be getting enough to light up... take out the bulb, connect in a multimeter instead which is on your parcel shelf and see if there's any voltage there when the tailgate's shut... if there's any voltage at all, there's a problem with the switch... 8)

Well that just sounds far too sensible :lol:

TBH, my boot light manages a dark orange glow at best, so I've just disconnected it completely.

Edit: I've also got a full-size spare, so unfortunately I couldn't get in the boot to asses the switch situation :lol:

Thanx for all your suggestions. I currently have the fan disconnected and at the moment all seems to be fine.

Will keep the boot light in mind and check that out next. Unfortunately I am not able to climb into the boot as since I bought the car I can no longer afford friends!! The money I used to use to buy vodka for myself, I now use to buy fuel for the car!! :oops:

LadyLupin-Black, Just take the boot light bulb out - this will break the circuit. Then see if your battery still drains. :wink:

Stevemac said

Just take the boot light bulb out - this will break the circuit. Then see if your battery still drains.

I did this about a week ago as my battery goes flat enough to fail to start the car in about two weeks. I will see whether this action will allow the car to be started and will let the forum know the outcome.

:D Today, battery started car OK after sitting without boot light bulb since about 1st November and since its last run on the road some time before that.

I am now 90% convinced that the boot light circuit was responsible for draining most of the battery's power.

Many thanks to dinkus and henny etc. for leading me to this solution.

Obviously, I will let the forum know if the problem has not been solved for good.

Aw nutz!!!

Flat battery again even with boot light bulb out.

Therefore, C failed has to start 18 days after last run.

Mind you, it did start easily with cheapo portable charger in a few minutes which it did not before.

Also, it has been down to -5C a couple of weeks ago and garage is not always heated.

Chubbz said

do you have an alarm maybe its draining it.

No - had that infernal thing removed. "One of worst things known to man, these" according to cheesed off AA man who could not fix it or get car started without setting it off. Car had to be taken 7 miles to garage to have alarm surgically removed - I've not regretted it so far! Had new immobiliser fitted at the time.

Possibly 18 days or so in winter is max battery can do. (Batt. 2 years old only - from VW).

Previous owner who had car from new had it run flat once on holiday in summer in Pyrenees and bought new battery there. Someone has said a fortnight max is what you can expect. Annoying that all my cheaper cars dont have problems inherent in Corrado which cost £25k when new 10 years ago.

The joy of Corrado ownership, as we all know.