Sign in to follow this  
W3RKD

boost leak - how to check.

This information has now been collated in a Wiki article, so this thread has been locked and un-stickied.

=============

A number of people have asked me how we check for boost leaks so i have written this to hopfully explain how we do it.

any questions please ask .

Boost checking:

Remove throttle body linkage on the underside of throttle body (to remove this use a large flat bladed screwdriver and prise of the plastic ball joint on the boost return linkage carefully).

Start engine and allow to idle.

Mix up a thick concentrate of washing up liquid/water or use a leak dector spray.

In 2 second bursts, manually close the boost return flap by closing the linkage via the end you have just removed.

Whilst closing the boost return flap you will see that the system pressurises. Use you choice of leak detector around all joints in the pipework etc & check for bubbling.

Note:

IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU HOLD THE SYSTEM CLOSED FOR NO LONGER THAN 2 SECONDS.

Also to check the joints around the standard corrado intercooler you will need 2 people ie yourself controlling the boost return linkage and another pair of eyes checking for leaks.

cool,im gonna go try this now.

my hose from the charger to intercooler pipe looks a bit cracked and tired.

£53+vat at vw though !!!!!!!!! :shock:

i tried this earler,feckinell it dosnt half pressurise the pipes does it!

didnt dare hold it for the 2 seconds tbh!

anyway,is it normal for the plastic intercooler hose to expand? the inlet one? :shock:

no leaks showed up which was nice,but cant understand why one plastic hose would expand and the other dosnt.

cheers,neil.

At a guess I would say that the oil vapour that tends to run around the G60 would have most effect on the intercooler hose, as such it will break down the properties of the plastic over time hence the expansion.

The other way to look at that is that you are losing boost pressure due to the pipe expansion.

mmmm,maybe another potential cause of my problems then.

sorry,dont want to clutter this sticky with my cars problems. :lol:

Riley, None of the bost hoses or pipes should expand under pressure. Sounds like your's is worn.

I quite often see the hose's expand very slightly when backing up the systems for leak testing.

I quite often see the hose's expand very slightly when backing up the systems for leak testing.
Even the plastic ones ?

mmmm,i found a spare kicking about today,was gonna swap it for the hell of it.

but when i picked it up,you can actually squeeze em,theyre not very hard plastic like i thought they were.

neil.

Dont really know much about the G60's but is it worth using Samco hosing? Or are they not compatible... :?:

Dont really know much about the G60's but is it worth using Samco hosing? Or are they not compatible... :?:

Samco's only replace the rubber hoses - not the plastic pipework. :wink: