Sign in to follow this  
jedi-knight83

My long time ABS problem...fixed..i think

Well i bought a spare ABS ECU from ebay.. got it for £30.

Old one is easy to get out...just one bit of trim and a few bolts.

Anyway the old one had horrid green corrosion in the connectors.... so i cleaned up the plug and fitted the new one and put vaseline around the edge of the plug to hopefully stop it happening again....

...anyway been a couple of days now and no ABS light yet...fingers crossed 8)

Corrosion on the plug in the *interior* of the car? Has your car been leaking water in at all? Could explain it....

Sounds like it's fixed anyway, and for £30.... can't grumble at that 8)

Wait and see..... Mine has weeks where it'll behave perfectly then the light will be on all the time....

PLUS you bid on the one I won the other week too, ya git. You cost me an extra six quid.. ;)

I reckon that's two pints in ye olde Cambridge pubs. Mine's a Guinness!! :lol:

Corrosion on the plug in the *interior* of the car? Has your car been leaking water in at all? Could explain it....

Sounds like it's fixed anyway, and for £30.... can't grumble at that

Yeah i had the dreaded damp passenger footwell for a while bit i think its fixed now.. not been wet for ages?? :|

dr_mat, sorry about the £6 i dont buy beers though...special religion i have :wink: and my light was coming on more regular the past weeks and now its not on at all :)

Yeah the green powdery substance is what's created as the water dries off the connectors.....so although it was wet sometime ago, the damage had already been done. You may have been OK just scraping that away but if you got a short, then it could have burnt out something inside the ECU.

dr_mat, sorry about the £6 i dont buy beers though...special religion i have :wink: and my light was coming on more regular the past weeks and now its not on at all :)

Ah, I know people like you... First out the taxi, last at the bar... :roll:

Oh and to follow on from this story, the ABS controller I purchased for £16 was fitted today (by me!), and lo and behold I found some green powdery substance bridging a couple of contacts in the corner of the big fat multiplug on the old one. Cleaned up the connector, reinstalled the h/w and lo and behold, no more ABS light.

Will have to check in the longer term but hopeful for the time being... :)

I can't help but notice a pattern emerging here...

What, of Jedi not buying drinks? Yes, I know, terrible isn't it! ;)

Passenger side, remove the 6 screws holding the lower shelf in place, remove it, remove the two screws visible in the plastic panel directly in front of the door, and the single broad fixing to the front of this panel, and lo and behold. One ABS controller.

But bear in mind if it's broken there's pretty much nothing you can do but replace it. If you're lucky and there's a corrosion problem on the contacts, then you'll have to find out where the water's come from!

Thanks for the info....

Yet another thing to look at on my car. Why oh why does it run perfectly for months (or even years), and then eveything turns to s**t at the same time.

Anyway, rant over....

New magnex exhaust arives this week. Can't wait!!

You're lucky. It's much more soul destroying when it runs shite all the time, and for every thing you tick off the list of fixes, you've added another three things in the meantime...

Just removed my ABS controller - contacts very 'blue' and corroded.

Hopefully removing the corrosion will sort the problem. Now I just need to play that great game we all know as 'chase the leak'!

P.S. If the ABS controller is knackered, how much for a replacement??

daveh, get some contact cleaner from maplin or a similar store, spray on the ecu and the plug and then put the plug into the ecu a few times to clean it all up.

ECU from VW would be £200 upwards i guess???

from ebay... £30 - 40