Sign in to follow this  
bighands

What amp to power my 6x9's?

As the title says! Got audiobhan 6x9's and the head unit is not doing them justice!

They are 215w RMS, i dunno if this is each or between them, most likely between i should think, but the whole RMS and PMPO confuses me! so any one recommend any good amps, not silly prices but good quality all round jobbie, prices ect?

the head unit says 4x45w on the front, but think that is proberly PMPO??

Genesis amps are supposed to be pretty good, and not too pricey.

Genesis Profile Two - 2 x75W Rms which is plenty.... £199

The Profiles are pretty good and very compact for a nice stealthy install. They have built in fans but run a hybrid class D so don't get that hot anyway.

If you can stretch to a Genesis series III two channel (try ebay etc) , you'll get a much better sound - imo of course :)

I am running the exact same 6 by 9's and i am running a Kicker 300.4 amp to run them. they sound awesome. at 75 watts RMS they sound sweet. there is no need to run them at full power!!

if you want then you can run them at more power!! but i would definetly reccommend the amp!!

Thanks Atif

Nice one lads, cheers!

But why only 75 watts RMS? surely i want 110ish? :roll:

Don't let that you put you off.... Genesis are known to be conservative with their outputs. The Series IIIs deliver double the rated outputs and the Profiles give more than quoted too....

Don't let that you put you off.... Genesis are known to be conservative with their outputs. The Series IIIs deliver double the rated outputs and the Profiles give more than quoted too....

He's not wrong..... :D

just to clear up the difference between RMS and PMPO (also known as argos watts)

PMPO The term PMPO is actually a cheat. It means peak music power output and it's the maximum of power that a speaker can handle. Actually, if you feed an 80W PMPO rated speaker with 80W of power it will blow in less than a second. Power has to be specified in watts RMS (which is 0.707 of the true voltage).

Output power (W) is voltage (V) multiplied by current (I). W=V*I Voltage and current are measured as RMS values. Than you can calculate

power.

A speaker rated 80W PMPO is nominally 4W RMS rated. When you divide the PMPO value with 20 you will get the REAL rated power.

For example, lets take an Aiwa stereo, there is a sticker at the front which screams 450Watts PMPO. Well, when worked out it is actually 23Watts RMS, big difference.

PMPO is fake, it's cheating.

Yep.... and the "real world" short term power peak is 1.414 x the RMS value.

It's slightly different with car amplifiers as they deliver more or less depending on power supply voltage these days.

Genesis use a seperate power supply per channel on the twin mono 3 series and a PSU per stereo pair on the 4 channel S 3......and according to my test cert, I'm getting 4 x 101W RMS, or 4 x 141W pre clip Maximum @ 12V. PMPO I'm not even bothering with as it's purely academical!!