Sign in to follow this  
Red=Fast

AHHH!!! my F*ing oil pan...

So today I figured out why my car has been slowly leaking oil for the past few weeks. I wasn’t quite sure what it was until today on my way to work.

So my car sounded quite loud today on my way to work (the engine didn’t sound very happy at all) so as I was pulling into the parking lot at work, I noticed my oil light came on…so I checked my oil and I still had some in there, but it was a bit low. I added a quart and went into my work.

So a few hours later I went out there to check on the car. I check the oil level, and the car is freaking dry. Cursed oil pan! So now I have to find my way home tonight either by towing the car or buying a case of oil to feed my car on the way home from work.

This freaking sucks.

What's up with the pan? Mine had a hole in it, only pin prick sized but I poked it and the oil started pouring out.... luckily I was at a garage when I noticed it and a new pan was put on instantly! A close call !

I think it is the pan because it is leaking when the car isn’t running. I haven’t gotten to look at it yet because I am still at work for 4 1/2 more hours. I have been franticly calling shops and the local dealership to see if they have one in stock. If I cannot find the stuff today, I cannot go to work tomorrow. Arg, this is pissing me off so much. The dealership said they would call me back in an hour with an answer if they had a pan or not.

This is a great start for today.

I’m getting a new gasket for sure. I am going to see if they have the windage tray as well. If they don’t then a gasket is fine for now. So you guys are sure that the MK2 one will fit?

The dealer wanted $120 for the oil pan, gasket, and 20 bolts. I just went to a website and got a windage tray, oil pan, and plug for under $60 shipped. I will go to a hardware store and pick up some bolts for another $3 or so. But my car is out of commission for the weekend. I am going to bum a ride off of some friends to and from work tomorrow and Monday. Thanks for the help guys! Also this weekend I’m going to install my new cam/lifters/gasket/seal! I have a weekend of fun ahead with my Corrado!

Maybe when i get the pan off I will take a picture to show you guys the cause of all this trouble.

Red=Fast, they're taking the p!ss mate... the sump (oil pan) over here is under £30, the gasket is under £10 and the bolts can be re-used... :| need to torque 'em up to 11Lb/Ft though to make sure you don't get a leak... I replaced all of mine with stainless steel ones so I don't have any problems in the future! ;)

It's not the easiest of jobs to do 'cos you're working above your head all the time, but it's do-able on a trolley jack with basic tools... you WILL need a 1/4 inch drive socket set (and a hammer!) though else you'll end up stripping the threads on the bolts in the gearbox bell housing area!

The MKII (and even 1.8 mki/rabbit!) pans will fit, as long as they are 1.8, even the 16V one would do 'cos there's no difference... 8)

I’m getting a new gasket for sure. I am going to see if they have the windage tray as well. If they don’t then a gasket is fine for now. So you guys are sure that the MK2 one will fit?

you do realise that you don't need a sump gasket when you use a windage tray, the tray has a rubber gasket fitted into the edge of it.

David.

lol yeah I guess that came out wrong. I was trying to say I was going to try and get a windage tray that day if they had one in stock, but if they didn’t I would settle for a normal gasket instead if they didn’t have the tray. I have built and engine before with a windage tray I know you don’t need a gasket if you have one. =]

Anyways, the new parts are ordered and should be here on Monday =] this Monday, my car is going to be so happy… new lifters, new cam, new cam seal, new valve cover gasket, a windage tray, new oil, new oil plug, new oil pan, new oil pan bolts. I got everything shipped for under $300 USD. I cannot wait to get home from work on Monday and get my car going!

Thanks for the help/advice guys!

As one person who took the flame-bait commented on the register today:

"I was one of the people who voted for Bush. Am I happy about it? Hell no. I think he is a complete moron who isn't qualified to run around the block, much less run a country. So why would I vote for him? Because the Democrats, in all there glorified wisdom, couldn't come up with any choice better than a flip flopping wanker from Massachusetts and his wonder boy sidekick, the personal injury lawyer (who we all know are pillars of virtue). I have been looking forward to voting Dubya out of office since the day he was elected and instead I get a chance to choose between the lesser of two evils. And as is usually the case, people stick with the devil they know."

That "flip flopping w@nker" managed to get 49% of the vote against the incumbent president, apparently just in an effort to vote GWB out...

I hate my country.

So i paid 32.2859 GBP for a windage tray, oil pan, and plug. I think thats a pretty smoking deal.

What is your guy's minimum wage over there?

That's pretty low, yeah. UK minimum wage is:

Main (adult) rate for workers aged 22 and over

£4.85 per hour from 1 October 2004 (an increase from £4.50 an hour)

Development rate for workers aged 18-21 inclusive

£4.10 per hour from 1 October 2004 (an increase from £3.80 an hour)

So at current exchange rates that's about $8/hr.

What is your guy's minimum wage over there?

£45,000 per year :wink:.. :lol:

your not on 45k working for gsf? I wanna job there if thats the case!

min is about £5.00 an hour or something so $9 at a guess

DAMN YOU ALL!!!! J/k

I wish things could be better here. But our country makes LOTS of poor decisions. It is quite a shame. But I guess I am going to have to deal with it…or move to Canada or Australia.