Sign in to follow this  
Jimbo123

First time Corrado buyer...

Morning all,

I am new to forum and would like a few pointers if that's ok??

I've thinking about buying a Corrado for some time now and I'm now probably in a postion to make my purchase!!

I've currenty got a mk3 golf 16v and was either looking at a 2.0 16v or a VR6 Corrado??

I've seen an VR6 M plate (100k on the clock) for sale in a garage for £4k but it seems too cheap!!?? What is the price for one of these?? It seems that the price of some of them on market are hirendously overpriced. Don't get me wrong I'll pay the market price (pref cheaper!!) but don't want to screwed!!!

Any advise would be great!!

Ah yeah, whats the going price for a late 2.0 16v??

Cheers!!

Jimbo.

Hello Jimbo. Welcome to the forum mate.

As someone said to a similar question yesterday, 4k will get you a a stonking 2.0 valver, but a VR for the same price might be a bit ropey.

Also if the VR you've seen is on 100k, it wont be too long before the head'll need rebuilding.

If it aint already been done, that'll hit you in the wallet big time! (thick end of £1k i think)

Happy hunting mate. :wink:

Cheers Ian, the advise is well received. TBH I'm probably more keen to get the 16v as the running costs will be cheaper and as you say you'll get alot more for 4k than you would with a VR6!!

Ideally I'd be looking to spend around 3/3.5k max on the 16v what sort of condition would you expect for that?? Mileage, FSH, trim etc??

Cheers,

Jimbo.

Condition should be quite good for that, but you may not be able to get hold of one of the very last ones.

Again, as was said yesterday the mileage is getting irrelevant on model of car that's gonna be at least 9 years old.

Condition and service history is the thing to look for.

Trim wise... there's only cloth / leather recaros (and much rarer, air con) to differentiate between the valvers, so dont worry too much about it.

Take a stroll over to the "For Sale" section to see what's going, but a lot of the cars on here have been modded, so comparing prices to a standard one may not be that simple.

There's also a "Pre-viewing" section where a polite request can result in a seasoned Corrado owner going to look at a potential motor with you.

HTH.

Cheers for that, as you say mileage is more less irrelavant for a car of that age!! I will take your advise and have a look at the for sale section I must say I defo not in the market for a modded version!!!

Good to know about the pre vieiwing section too, I am quite knowledgable about cars but it's always good to get an opinion of someone who knows what their really taking about!!! esp model specific knowledge!!

I wouldn't discount buying a VR from a dealer. A lot of them do not see them as anything special and push them out at book price. Both of my VR's came from dealers and both had documented service history and were far better and cheaper than anything which I had seen privately.

Cheers for the reply, I am considering going to see the VR tomorrow if only just to see what conditons it's in etc.... I guess there's no harm in looking!!!

What's the deal with the head needs rebuilding at 100k?? I've been on the 2 golf forums and no one seems to mention about needing the head rebuilding only the timing chain that needs replacing at 100k.

It all depends on how they're treated. Mine's on 120k still on the original timing chain with no knocks or rattles. Also on the original exhaust with loads of miles left in it :)

I think G60's have an undeserved reputation for being unreliable.. definately give one some thought if a good one comes up! :)

exactly, like anything, if it has been looked after, chances are it will last well (as long as you don't thrash the nuts off it!)

Modded G60's seem to be going quite cheap these days, I nearly bought a stage4 one but like most people, I bottled it, hence why they are quite cheap. It does not necessarily mean the car has been abused just because it has been modded, sometimes the opposite. Just look at as many as you can. Ditto mileage worries, I bought mine off a lady owner who had it for 5 years, 135k and pulls as well as any other I had tested! :wink: