Sign in to follow this  
pablo_vr6

TT wheel scrubbage

hey all - got my TT 6spokes on yesterday and while they look brilliant they are scrubbing badly on the back.

Im running the same 215/40/17 rubber that was on the superelggeras I had (ET35) which never rubbed so whats the best plan forward?

I can get 205/40/17 tyres

or

can I get 3mm milled off the rims in an engineering place to make them ET35 like the leggys were?

opions welcome!!

cheers

-pablo

I would NEVER alter the geometry of any wheel by removing material...........you would most likely weaken them.

Yeah unfortunately there isn't enough meat on the wheel's mounting face to remove 3mm. The bolts would just wear through the remaining metail in no time and wouldn't be strong enough to support the weight of the car either.

205s should help but different brands have different shoulder profiles and widths, but overall the skinnier rubber should alliviate the problem. Are they ET32 7.5s?

TT comp people (ET31) seem to be OK and they have to use spacers at the rear!

How low are you?

As a rough idea, with those RHs on (ET35 8s with 215 rubber) and 35-40mm lowering, there is no rubbage at all. I'm guessing you're a fair bit lower if you're having problems?