Sign in to follow this  
Neil VR6

Career in automotive industry?

Bit of a longshot here but never mind. I am a bored graduate in a relatively (stress that word) well paid job. However, that job is extrememly boring and being a petrol head I would much rather spend my time with my head under the bonnet of a car or at least in the automotive industry in some capacity. My degree is in Business Studies (which doesn't help) but I crave a job that I will enjoy. Is there any way of getting into the game without coming from an apprenticeship background. Also I have a mortgage now so I cannot take much of a pay cut! Also, I want to have my cake and indeed eat it. Any ideas, experiences, suggestions, paths? Ideas on a postcard please.

Business Manager - a decent one can earn £40 - 45k, probably the most professional position within a dealership outside of the workshop - I should know, I employ two of them

ah dead easy

1. become a mechanic

2. go work for williams

3. take over team

4. dominate world.

seriously tho, i'd have thought a business studies degree wasn't a bad start, ok it's a bit vague :D but why can't you try for a masters in automotive orientated subject or something that shows willing?!

whatever you do your doing right thing thinking of changing it now, i'm jumping from my profession as soon as i'm able.

I figure that I sit in front of a desk for most of my waking hours and quite frankly hate it. I feel like I should go on some kind of reality TV show and go become a dolphin trainer or something, anything's better than this! The thing about becoming a mechanic is that the starting salary wouldn't even cover the mortgage, let alone Optimax for the 'Raddo! Andy, do you have any contacts at all? (BTW, the cars going to JMR for lots of work and a Miltek + decat :twisted: )

I'll happily meet up with you, work out what you want to do and try and help - I do some recruitment work for quite a few dealers and they are always looking for good people - Business Managers especially - no experience required - more about having the right attitude and desire to earn decent money WITHOUT ripping customers off

Me too, I'm absolutely busting to work in the automitive industry.

I detest my job (draughtsman), I never wanted to be copped up in apoxy office all day long sat staring at a pc.

anyone want to give me a job? (ps, I won't get out of bed for less than £500 a week)

Equaly as boring - Account Manager for a Bank. Most excitement i get is when someone asks for a car loan, and I try to convert them to VAG - Once someone wanted one for a TT, you can imagine my excitement.

Motor industry is still unfortunately occupied in the main by drongos and sharks - there is great potential for people with common sense, decency etc - I couldn't imagine working in any other industry

Very true but I'd rather spend my time in a dealership than behind a desk in an office or suchlike

I detest my job (draughtsman), I never wanted to be copped up in apoxy office all day long sat staring at a pc.

anyone want to give me a job? (ps, I won't get out of bed for less than £500 a week)

i may be able to help there, do you do structural steel or reinorced concrete?

as a recruitment consultant i tend to have a look at whats going on in all sectors of work.

tbh on the production side of things for the automotive sector seems to be on a bit of a down turn at the moment. however as a production manager/quality manager there is some fantastic money to be earnt :)

I just quit my job in the automotive industry.

Ended up just being sat infront of a computer 8 hours a day 5 days a week (with a couple of trips abroad most months)

Nothing to get hands dirty with though.......

I do get to say I played a small part in the DB9 though! (and the ST fiesta!)

If you like the idea of working for the ford family try Jonathan Lee recruitment to get in the doors through agency work.

i may be able to help there, do you do structural steel or reinorced concrete?

as a recruitment consultant i tend to have a look at whats going on in all sectors of work.

tbh on the production side of things for the automotive sector seems to be on a bit of a down turn at the moment. however as a production manager/quality manager there is some fantastic money to be earnt :)

I've done structural steelwork before, but I'm essentially trained as a mechanical draughtsman.

currently working in the rail industry, doing electrification structures and equipment.

Interesting thread. Not long back I was looking for a way into the automotive industry myself, in the field of electronic systems design. I've got a first class bachelors degree in Computer Systems Engineering, an ONC and HNC in Elecrical and Electronic Engineering, various City and Guilds qualifications in electronics, a level 3 NVQ in Engineering Maintenance and I served a four-year mechanical and electrical engineering apprenticeship with the largest water company in the south east, plus I live on the doorstep of companies such as Lotus. How has that helped me in my quest for a job in the automotive industry? Not one little bit (despite lots of attempts) - it's all quite disillusioning really.

If I had my time again I'd train as a builder....I don't know many poor ones.

I've heard that a lot but it's not something I know a great deal about. I assume there are opportunities in that area?

What the heck does a quantity surveyor do anyway???

Brick counting :lol:

no, on a more serious note they earn a shit load of money dealing with building quantities and the like........

i think :lol: :lol: :lol:

ive placed a few and still dont really know what they do :lol:

quantity surveyor is like the accountant of the building industry.... great thing about construction is it's diverse, pretty interesting and you get to leave the office and visits sites a few days a week.... the downside is the money isn't fantastic when compared to other professions with lower stress and complexity levels.

A good QS with 5 years post qual experience could be looking at £35 - £40k+ in London, obviously the better you are the more you get, and pay levels are regionally biased. The downside is the better you get the more 'managerial' role you take and you just end up driving a desk in the end - not the reason the profession is attractive

From what I see, unless your highly driven in construction then you'll really struggle to make mega money (+£50k) as a professional. Better to become a sparky or a bricky and go and work at terminal 5 - standard sparks get £60k :!:

If you do fancy the construction industry, decent consultancy firms in the sector are trying to attract 'conversion' students. i.e who's qualification is not necessarily construction related.

I'm in exactly the same positon at the min.

I'm well fed up of my Job. I'm a fracture&fatigue technician for Corus (formally British Steel). Basically I brake things and say how good they are. Ok some bits are good, I had to test a motorway crash barrier at one point, which involved driving a car into it at 70mph. The sound wasn't very nice, and made me think twice about going daft on the M1.

I've got an ONC and HNC in materails and an NVQ level 3, and some hydraulic matainance training.

I need to chnge my job and would love to get in the automotive industry, I tried appying for a technician job at a stealers a few years back but nothing came of it.

Also I can't really afford a pay cut, anything bout £17k pa would do though.

The thing what gets me most is that, my kid brother is only 21 and looking to buy a TT, he's a brick layer and is getting paid a stupid wage at the min!!

I'm 24 and trying like mad to keep the C on the road.

I suppose I wouldn't mind as much if I really enjoyed the job.

Works a funny old place eh :lol:

on the Quantity surveyor side of things the money is fantastic,

does anyone know if you can do a disctance learning course in Q'S ing?

got me thinking! :lol:

wouldn't recommend being a QS mate IMHO, there's other options.... have a look at this website, similar and sometimes better pay scales

http://www.rics.org.uk

for ideas, and failry certain there is diplomas and conversion courses at colleges and uni's

well I did a degree in automobile engineering, thinking that this is the obvious route in to the job, but after a year of searching for a job, Ive abandoned the automobile market and got myself a job as a mechanical design engineer in the nuclear industry decomissioning old power stations and nuclear waste, just hope i dont make any mistakes!!! :onfire:

well I did a degree in automobile engineering, thinking that this is the obvious route in to the job, but after a year of searching for a job, Ive abandoned the automobile market and got myself a job as a mechanical design engineer in the nuclear industry decomissioning old power stations and nuclear waste, just hope i dont make any mistakes!!! :onfire:

Is that 'andihaz' as in hazardous material. I bet there is a market for that kind of stuff in the middle east right now. I have a few contacts 'in country' that may be useful! Very good for getting discount Leathermans etc.

Gavin