Sign in to follow this  
daveh

Steeering problem - FIXED!!

Firstly, thanks to all who replied to my previous post, particulary daves16v who pointed me in the right direction.

Breifly, my problem was that the vertical adjustment mechanism on the steering column would not hold the wheel securely, so that there was some vertical 'play' in the column. All other positions appeared to be OK - i.e. wheel held firmly in position.

My local VW dealership refused to drive the car, stating that it was unsafe. They even made we sign a waiver before they released it! They had spent 15 minutes looking for the problem at the last MOT, with no joy. This time all they wanted to do was quote for a new column £500+VAT+fitting. Nice.

Anyway, with the help of the forum, this is how I fixed it;

(Apologies for the crap pictures - had to use my phone)

(Also apologies for the post - never tried to post pictures before :oops: )

Good call, I've heard about this fix before, and never really "got" it. Now I do, I'll be having a closer look at mine.

erm... not sure what happened to my original post :? ... i kinda lost it. but anyway ill say in brief again. same thing happens to mine and im not so sure tapping the pin back in is a fix tbh, mine has come out completely twice since i fixed it(in two months) and whilst driving. maybe my prob is a little further developed than yours?? i dont know, but its blo**y dangerous!

Neverite, You might want to try deforming the end of the pin after you've tapped it back in. Personally I don't like hitting the steering column area with a hammer. You could using a strong adhesive on the pin before you tap it back in.

cheers dave, s*** myself so much when i saw the price of a new column... wasnt thinking straight and didnt really think of simple and sensible things like that! :roll: :oops:

As some have mentioned before - this hasn't turned out not to be the easy fix I had hoped.

My pin worked loose in a few weeks as well.

I then removed the big spring that helps to hold the wheel up as you adjust the height. Just rotate (anti-clock) the chrome-ish end cap by using a phillips screwdriver in the square hole. Helps if you position the steering wheel so you can work through one of the holes.

I then tapped the pin back in (again) and superglued a 5 pence piece over the top. A 5p is small enough so that everything can be reassembled without fouling.

Unfortunately this fell off a couple of weeks later. Maybe I didn't degrease the area properly.

Anyway, I've now purched some bostik resin-type glue from Halfords. Comes in two parts which you mix together. This time I made sure that the area was thoroughly degreased and also sanded both parts slightly to give something to key into.

(touching wood) all is absolutely fine now.

Just make sure the queens head is facing out - don't what to get done for defacing the monarchy after all :wink: