Sign in to follow this  
chrishill

tyres rubbing upper arch liner!

just had my c dropped 40mm and i'm running 16x7.5's. I was giving it a bit of stick around a round about....er...testing ;) and there was a nasty scrubbing noise so i backed off and stopped. basically the top edge of the tyre is catching the arch liner as the car leans over! am i safe to take them out? what sort of problems could i have? and with that done should i get the arches rolled too? didnt think i'd have to with that sort of drop but if i do....ah well!

I've never taken inner liners out b4 but they are in there for a reason.............you're gonna get water, mud, crap etc high up into the inner wing area, all this = less protection and more corrosion.

Sorry can't help with a solution.

just a thought, the suspension rattles quite alot, could that be down to a lack bumpstops too? the sound makes me think the springs loose on the damper, at least thats what it 'sounds' like to my untrained amature ear! I got one of Euro car parts 'lowering' kits which is bilstein dampers and ventura springs. car looks great on them and the ride would be ok if it wasnt for the scrubbing and the rattles! :(

any ideas?

Did you renew the top mounts ?

If not, then renew them when you fit the bumpstops. :wink:

Everything on the front suspension legs is kept tightly together by the springs - except for the bearings in the top mounts.

Other possibilities for your rattling - bottom ball joints, lower arm bushes, anti roll links & bushes

1.8-16v & G60 mounts have the bearings inside the mount.

VR6 ones are separate.

Not sure which type the 2.0-16v's have.

VR6 mounts are much stronger & better design. Not just a straight swap for the G60 style mounts though - need to change the top spring mounting plate, top mount & bearing.

top mounts were left as they were, to be quite honest i should have learned my lesson by now, i bought the suspension without thinking about the bumpstops and top mounts, then when we got them off and realised they were shot, I though nah the hell with it, it'll be ok! obviously not!

cheers steve, i'll get the top mounts changed and get the bumpstops on and fingers crossed that'll cure it!