Sign in to follow this  
daveh

New windscreen - Trim question.

I am having I new windscreen fitted to my car next week, and just wondered which trim parts need removing before the fitter can do his thing.

I'm working on the basis that the easier I make the screen swap the better job I will get. I have already removed the three black covers at the bottem of the screen, as well as the blower motor water cover thingy.

Do the interior A-pillar trims need to come out?? I hope not as this will mean diturbing the alarm sensors, and I hate disturbing anything that is working properly.

Also, there are three black plastic pieces bonded to the outside of the screen, two channel type moldings (one down each pillar), and one across the top. (These not to be confused with the other molding that runs around the outside of the whole lot).

Are these three bonded parts replaced by the screen fitter, or do they just remove them from the old screen and glue them to the new one? If they try and re-use the parts, I think will just order new ones myself.

Any comments from people who have had their screens changed?

Fingers crossed for a new screen with no leaks....

Nope the A pillar trims don't have to come out.

The plastic mouldings you refer to come pre-bonded onto the new screen, as does the mirror mounting clip.

They reuse the rubber seal unless it's totally knackered.

Good oppurtunity to get a top tint. See my sig for what a top tint looks like.

Typical, I got a new a windscreen a few weeks ago.

They told me Top Tint ones weren't listed on their system. :cry:

Oh I forgot to mention the screen fitting takes 60 - 90 minutes to remove all the old urethane glue and fit the screen, and then another 4 hours for the new glue to harden, so you'd better plan a shopping trip or something whilst it's being done!

When you collect the car, you'll hear all sorts of creaking and groaning from the A pillars over bumps. Don't worry, it's just the glue setting still. In the morning it will be rock solid.

When you collect the car, you'll hear all sorts of creaking and groaning from the A pillars over bumps. Don't worry, it's just the glue setting still. In the morning it will be rock solid.

Thanks for that - could have been a little embarassing returning to 'complain' about the creaks!!