Sign in to follow this  
monVR6

About to weigh into a new rack (VR6)

Hey - just got a small bonus at work - hurrah :D - time to get that new rack then methinks. Spoke to Vince at Stealth who said the Mk2/Mk3 Golf racks look the same and are cheaper. He also said someone on the forum called Matt had one fitted ??? - (DrMat maybe ???). Anyway - just wondered if this has solved things at all??

Yep, that was me. The mk3 Golf VR/GTi rack is the same part as the Corrado VR6 rack.

It's fixed my worn rack (it used to clunk around over bumps!), but it seems that's not all of my problems fixed..

Is it still vague on the straight-ahead?? Mine feels like it's getting blown about by side-winds even though it's not windy!! Pulls both left and right too :( Seeing as I've had almost everything else done, maybe this will solve it !! What problems do you still have then ???

A bit vague on the straight ahead, it wanders a bit. It varies a bit, to be honest. Load it up in a corner and it feels superb, particularly with the rack replaced. It tramlines like a bar steward though, and I'm pretty sure most of what's left with mine is the UJs..

Cheers - that's helpful. I might be getting Koni TAs and H&Rs at the same time - they seem to be the preferred option. Maybe I'll get the UJs looked at at the same time !! Good luck with yours . .

Nothing can be done with the UJs, AFAIK, other than to pinch them up to the rack such that they're under tension all the time, which may take the slack out of them. Trouble is it's also likely to wear them much faster than they ever wore before!

So a mark 3 golf rack fits the vr6, wot about the 16v/G60, where can you pillage a rack for those ones from? Or are they all the same??

New steering rack for a VR6 is around £400+VAT from VW. Exchange can be had for less from GSF.

The 16v/G60 cars use the same racks as the mk2 Golf iirc. But check that before taking my word for it!

Steering rack for the VR6 is common to golf gti,16v and vr6...

Ok let me re-phrase that, i have a corrado 16v and have suspicions that the rack may be on its way, wot can i get a rack from that will fit?

Cheers

oh dear my vr wanders a bit and feels a bit vague too. i also get a wobble through the steering wheel like the balancing is out at around 80. new rack. my car is quite low and has a fair amount of camber on the fromnt wheels. any ideas. i really hope its not the rack cos i have spent so much on the car in the last 2 months (thermosta housing, new rad, fuel leak, cv boot, 4 wheel alignment etc). how much are the recon racks from gsf?? how hard/long to replace? how long can i drive it if it is worn???

how long can i drive it if it is worn???

'till it fails an MOT, or you scare yourself and decide to fix it...

will it ever end. there is now a creak when i pull up at junctions?? susp bushes?? on the front. ne one no if and wher5e they are likely to need replacing?? the wobble came back again, aaaargh. only at 80 +. balancing?? please help!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

ona plus note taking the kids to a fixture (i'm a pe teacher) the kids loved it and were asking how quik 0-60 and top end. well impressed they were. so sir has the coolest car in the car park. at least it impresses 12 yr olds!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Well I've spent loads on mine and was potentially going to look at buying a Porsche 944 Turbo at the weekend. BUT - decided I love the VR too much - as EVO mag puts it the VR6 is "still to be bettered for all round ability and appeal" 8)

Now, if I can just sort this vagueness out !!!!!

It's an old trick, and I don't think it really *does* anything much, but try sticking the steering column on a different height setting...