Sign in to follow this  
g60pops

Lambda probe

Is it worth getting a universal lambda or should i just bite the bullet and get a genuine one?

Are the universal ones reliable?

Have had mixed responses from experience of generic Lambda probes, as seen fitted to a number of VW's presented for work. This fact allone tells me that OEM part is worth the money. So you might have to spend another £20 to £30, but you know it will be right and will last for another 40,000 miles. "You get what you pay" for is a well used quote, but very applicable in this case.

So long as you use a probe which is made by a quality or OE manufacturer, the only difference between a universal type and the OE one is the wiring (on this age of vehicle). G60's use the old style probes with grey/white wires. The important factor when fitting a universal probe is how you join the wires from the new probe to the old wiring harness. This must be done by soldering the wires together & covering the join with heatshrink. If the wiring is not soldered/joined correctly - your new probe will fail quite quickly.

Newer cars use ceramic probes with coloured wiring - these type of probes must be replaced with model specific replacements. Universal probes (grey/white wires) cannot be fitted to later vehicles that are fitted with ceramic probes.

Just read this thread, I got mine on saturday, cost me £85 for the stealers. Tried to fit it too but its a real bummer, cos its a bit cramped under there. Any advice on fitting it etc, or is it just a staright forward screw into place?

Sanj.

Just read this thread, I got mine on saturday, cost me £85 for the stealers. Tried to fit it too but its a real bummer, cos its a bit cramped under there. Any advice on fitting it etc, or is it just a staright forward screw into place?

Sanj.

Unclip the wires behind (& down a little) the inlet manifold. Make sure the manifold is cool or you will be swearing a lot!l! Then undo probe from the exhaust. Repeat this in reverse. It's pretty simple.

stevemac, would you know if GSF sell lambdas for G60s with the orignal connector? Also is the G40 one the same?

Finally are you based at the Fort branch in Brum?

When searching for probe on the G&S site these are the results. Not sure what one you would want though. Might be worth calling them up.

PN Description Fitment Price() Basket

93000 LAMBDA PROBE General Use 1 WIRE UNIVERSAL 16.50 Add

93002 LAMBDA PROBE General Use 2 WIRE UNIVERSAL 16.50 Add

93004 LAMBDA PROBE General Use 3 WIRE UNIVERSAL 29.75 Add

93006 LAMBDA PROBE General Use 4 WIRE UNIVERSAL (ONLY FITS >1996) 34.00 Add

93010 LAMBDA PROBE TESTER General Use. 26.00 Add

93030 LAMBDA PROBE-BQ CO VR6 8/91 > 49.00 Add

98746 LAMBDA PROBE TOOL 22MM GENERAL USE 7.50 Add

18789C AIR MASS SENSOR PROBE PIERBURG REPLACEMENT FORMOST BOSCH AIR MASS METERS 46.00 Add

G60Dan, i checked their website and saw this, but when i phoned up one of the branches i was told that they sell a G40 one which has an orignal spec connector and that it is suitable for a G60. So i just wanted to confirm with stevemac as he works at GSF. Thanks for your help none the less.

g60pops, not sure if the G40 one is the same - the last sensor that I fitted to a G60 was one of the universal ones (3 wire from memory).

So long as the joints are correctly soldered - you won't have a problem. :wink:

I can't tell from mine as the wiring has been fcuked around with, plug has been removed & wiring is directly soldered into the harness. :mrgreen:

Pretty much a straight screw in using a 22mm size spanner, I seem to remember (it's been a few months ago that I did mine).

Yes, the thing sits at a rather awkward angle (facing almost upward), hence it's a bit tricky to get at, but mine came out fine without rounding off or anything.

The same hold for both the ceramic and the metal cats (swapped my ceramic cat one against a metall one :D ). The probe was from a Golf Mk3, just soldered the wires onto the original wiring, kept track of the colour coding in my Bentley, done.

Tempest