Sign in to follow this  
dannyrado

Who does a tidy big brake kit for a vr6?

Received my 288mm front setup I bought of ebay yesturday. Cant wait to get them on and tested. Might managed it this afternoon if it stays dry and I get the chance!!! Christ it xmas tomorrow!!!! :shock:

P.S. The carriers, calipers and pads are fecking huge!!! Its got to make a serious difference 8)

Timo.

Received my 288mm front setup I bought of ebay yesturday. Cant wait to get them on and tested. Might managed it this afternoon if it stays dry and I get the chance!!! Christ it xmas tomorrow!!!! :shock:

P.S. The carriers, calipers and pads are fecking huge!!! Its got to make a serious difference 8)

Timo.

They do make a nice difference 8) Pedal will remain long and mushy I'm afraid though :?

Indeed I have.

The whole system has been bled by Stealth quite a few times now so I know there's no air in there, although Vince did suggest bleeding the MC a little to see if that helps. It's just the way VRs are... Vince replaced an MC on a VR the other week and it made no difference to the pedal feel and travel.

There's no pedal adjustment on VRs either to take up slack :cry:

I'm going to investigate a MK4 servo/MC arrangement because my mate's MK4 GTi (2.0 8V) with the same brakes throws you through the screen if you press them with the same pressure as you would in the VR. But the MK4 doesn't have a pedal position sensor in the servo, so that might be a small problem, LOL!

Don't get me wrong, the 288s are miles better than the 280s and they don't fade.... it's just the typical VR pedal action letting the side down...

Well when I finally get round to fitting mine circa 2009, I'll let you know how they are. So long as they are an improvement, thats the main thing. :-P

2009 LOL! Yes they are much better mate.... they just feel unfadable (and they should be with 25mm thick discs!) and have tonnes of bite. As always, my recommended combo is VAG discs and Pagid Fast roaders :wink:

Well I started this installation but I've been rained off big time!!! :mad: :mad:

Having the disc/pads sat next to each other is like chalk and cheese. What a difference in disc area and pad size!!! A worthy mod and for just a shade under a 100 bucks it never broke the bank 8)

Timo.

Yeah, check the wipe area of the 288s compared to the 280s...and the thickness of the discs! And the beauty of this set up is you can still get the speedlines over them (just) and if you get 16s/17s, you can simply stick some 4Motion carriers on and go up to 312 discs 8) A brake kit for all seasons :)

As always, my recommended combo is VAG discs and Pagid Fast roaders :wink:

Lets not have that discussion again!!!!!! :-P Courtesy of Ebay and £39 I now have a set of genuine "VAG" discs from a main dealer mechanic. I would like the absolute minimum dust, is that the fast road or standard pagid pads?

I would like the absolute minimum dust, is that the fast road or standard pagid pads?

The FR's are very dusty, standard ones are ok - if you want minimum dust go for EBC but don't expect as good brake feel as with the Pagids...

Ha, i started this thread and forgot all about it, a few nice suggestions though, thanks guys! :wink:

Oh, Timo, let me know how you get on!

dannyrado, sorry taken so long to reply, I've been away for new year. This setup is a must, if you dont want to shell out for brembos etc. Plus as Kev has said, get 4motion carriers and you can get even bigger discs in there.

They haven't bedded in quite yet, both sides are not wiping the whole of the disc area, never replaced the pads (hardly been used) and the discs were quite rusty (again, barely have a lip on them). I've been taking it easy with them but the other day when I needed some emergency braking power and was very impressed with their performance and there is still more to come.

I reckon the whole nrake system could do with another bleed but I'm really chuffed with the outcome.

Timo.