Sign in to follow this  
Dub Style

Antifreeze in winter

I need to confirm somthing with you guys, see i got a mate who eats shits sleeps his car, and in winter when everyone makes sure their car has antifreeze, he completely fills the whole cooling system with antifreeze, he dont like the idea of ice cold water in the engine on icy nights, so thinks if its full with the stuff there will be minimal corrosion............is this just OTT???

VW always use G12 which is antifreeze for the winter and also a coolant in the summer I beleive. I run my G60 with it neat and my when my mum had her new polo serviced they used it as well neat.

I am pretty sure G12 isn't supposed to be used neat. Some other AF is pre-diluted so you don't add extra water.

Gavin

Dub Style, Your friend will actually be harming his engine. :shock:

Neat antifreeze is a very inefficient coolant for any engine. It's purpose is to stop the water in the cooling system from freezing & also to inhibit the water from corroding the inside of your cooling system. It's purpose is to alter the chemical properties of the water - not to replace it.

Think of it like running your car on fuel additives instead of petrol. You would never dream of filling your fuel tank with 15 gallons of octane booster. The car is unlikely even to run & if it did, it wouldn't run very well.

Antifreeze MUST always be used in conjunction with water & should never be used neat (or even more than 50% mix)

it does warn against using it neat on the g12+ bottle,its says something like dont exceed the 40% g12+ 60% water mix or it will impede the performance of the antifreeze

VW always use G12 which is antifreeze for the winter and also a coolant in the summer I beleive. I run my G60 with it neat and my when my mum had her new polo serviced they used it as well neat.

:shock: As Steve says, you'll actually be making the engine cooling less efficient, I've only got 30% G12+ in mine!!!

it does warn against using it neat on the g12+ bottle,its says something like dont exceed the 40% g12+ 60% water mix or it will impede the performance of the antifreeze

Around 40% is the ideal mix for UK winters.

It actually says on the G12+ what % mix to use for what kind of temps. (you need to peel the label on the back apart first ;) )