Sign in to follow this  
kiefersublime

headlight switch help

I just bought a 1990 G60 and I love it. But the headlights won't come on. I know its neither the fuses or the lights so I'm guessing its the switch its self. Can anyone help??

You could buy one.. but they're not cheap from VW. Dunno if there's any cheaper suppliers for you over there, but it's worth tracking one down, cos in the UK these switches are over £50 from the dealers (yes that's about a $1million at the current exchange rate)..

(yes that's about a $1million at the current exchange rate)..

:lol:

Wasn't there a small mod that could be done to fix? I seem to remember something along these lines.

Yep, its worth just taking the switch out, taking it apart (especially if it rattles with bits of broken plastic) and putting back together again... mines been fine ever since this fix...

Hey thanks guys. I'm a newbie here so I can use all the help you can give. Also if I ask something dumb let me know so I don't look like an idiot. Anyone know how to get the switch out? Could it be a relay? :notworthy:

the switch just pulls straight out... you may be better removing the blank next to it (lever it out with a flat screwdriver) amd then you can push the switch out from the back... 8)

I had a problem with my light switch a few months back. Took it apart and the two legs which move the electric contacts into position had broken. Over time heat from one of the LED's had caused the plastic to become brittle. Got a sheet of ABS plastic and used a couple of pieces to glue the plastic legs back on. I used a bottle of liquid glue from a model shop (Ambroid Pro Weld). Its stronger than the original now.

Thankyou. Yea I took it apart and its not the plastic legs but I think I've figured it out. I've got it back working but I can't get the plastic housing to snap back in place and still work. So it sitting outside the dash for the moment. Someone offered me 35euros for one. Is that a good idea? Thanks :)