Sign in to follow this  
TomB

Radio Ga-Ga

Can anyone suggest what might be causing interference with my head unit? Whenever it's turned on and the car's running, there's a static interference that mirrors the revs rising and falling.

You can still here the radio/cd over the top, but it's beginning to get on my nerves a little... It was fine when I picked up the car on Satuday, but I think a bump or pothole in Edinburgh's wonderful road surface must have started it. When iI first noticed it, it was only faint and could be stopped by opening and closing the glove compartment, but it's now a constant addition. HU is a Clarion DX418R.

Mods, if this is in the wrong place, please move it to problems.

Cheers,

Tom

if you say it has got worse since you hit a bump, and u used to be able to stop it with a bang I would say as a quick hit that it is a loose connection or a wire that has moved and is not picking up interferance.

Sounds like it could be caused by a bad earth? Check the grounding points. The wires for the stereo etc can be jogged by opening the glovebox as it is pretty cramped behind the dash, it could have been moving the earth wire and temporarly fixing the problem

Not an expert though :|

I had a similar problem with the system in my MK1 Golf.. I'd had my amp and sub installed in a stereo shop and the thick cnuts had run all the wiring down the same side of the car which gave me the same electrical interferance on the radio(not with the MD's though)!

Best thing to do is strip it out and re-wire it all back in, that way you know you've done a proper job and at the same time should eliminate the problem... if it stays then you may find that the H/U is at fault and may need replacing :?