Sign in to follow this  
Valver

Do timing chains s-t-r-e-t-c-h with mileage?.......

Guys just wanted to know if the chains themselves are pretty robust or if they stretch with mileage? My mate has stripped down my VR lump as we're rebuilding it (it had 140k on it), it didn't have the dreaded chain rattle but the plastic guide was quite worn - nearly to the rivets, which is when the noise starts iirc?.....Now, can I re-use the old twin chain or should it be replaced, bearing in mind it hasn't skipped or jumped on the sprockets etc so seems to be ok?.......It's about £60 +VAT from VAG so i'd rather not fork out if I dont really have to?......

Cheers

If it was mine, I'd replace them as a matter of course if I had the motor stripped down. Saves the hassle of possibly doing it again in the near future if they are starting to wear.

yes, they stretch... It's a chain, ALL chains stretch with use... :|

If the engine's in a state where it's an easy job to change the chains, DO IT... there's no point in putting an old unknown part back into an engine when it's as easy (and not hugely expensive) to put in a new part... 8)

Yeh, cheers for that guys - you're just confirming what I'd thought, may as well do it while it's all apart anyway. :wink: