Sign in to follow this  
m1cah

Juddering coming from front end wheels

Guys Help

Couple of weeks ago front passenger side wheel felt loose/grinding suspected wheel bearing ball joint etc. on closer inspection found the hub nut was loose and wheel was barely on! Fastened the little bugger back up and order a new one and fitter it, juddering's getting worse now on both sides(feels like driving over cats eyes all the time).

Checked wheels feel solid no movement, swapped front wheels with back ones problem still there. Disc's seem fine as problem doesn't happen in neutral, therefore suspect driveshafts are ok also.

Starting to suspect the wheels or tyre's (which are 3 months old) so will be swapping them out with a spair set at the weekend, I'm suspecting the wheels possibly because they have 280mm spacer's on the front not by choice but to clear the caliper's (which are huge) just thought this might be adding pressure to the wheels as there sitting so far off the hub.

Anyways if anyone's got any ideas or has a similar problem I'd be grateful for their comments.

Also any ideas where I can get the wheels checked to see if there buckled or tyres have bleebs in the north east

i assume the wheel bolts are not loose each time you've checked it?...........and that they are a bit longer than the standard size bolts to allow for the spacers??

Also any ideas where I can get the wheels checked to see if there buckled or tyres have bleebs in the north east

"North Eastern Tyre & Exhaust" are based in Sunderland - not sure of the address though. Maybe worth checking your yellow pages.

They will be able to answer you wheel/tyre questions.

Your problem could also be one of the following :-

1. worn wishbone bushes

2. worn/loose ball joints - difficult to check while they're stil on the car, just replace them anyway.. :wink:

3. worn CV joints - usually produce a "knocking" noise, even when in neutral !

4. loose/worn steering rack

5. worn front wheel bearings - to check properly, you'll need to remove the brakepads. :wink:

Your problem could also be one of the following :-

1. worn wishbone bushes

2. worn/loose ball joints - difficult to check while they're stil on the car, just replace them anyway.. :wink:

3. worn CV joints - usually produce a "knocking" noise, even when in neutral !

4. loose/worn steering rack

5. worn front wheel bearings - to check properly, you'll need to remove the brakepads. :wink:

Steve,

thought if it was bearings then they would whine first and you would get play in the front wheels when pulling on them with your hands when parked??

m1cah,

if the wheel hub nut was loose then it has to be one of the above. i would be more inclined to say that its the ball joints or more likey the CV joints as there has been movement of the wheel hub on the CV joints & driveshafts in the wrong directions!

i had a shot CV joint a while back and that made those sorts of sounds. try a 'parking' speed full turn lock to lock. if its worse then and you get some 'clicking' its porbably the CV joints.

cheers,

LHD-G60, Don't discount the wheel bearings - I replaced mine around 3 months ago. They were making no noise whatsoever. I found them to be fairly loose, only after I stripped the front suspension to fit new shockers & lower wishbones.

Loose driveshaft nut along with wheel spacers will place extra load onto the bearings. If the bearings are still original (never having been changed before) they are very likely to require replacing.. :wink: Like I said above - to check them properly, the front pads will need removing.

i had a shot CV joint a while back and that made those sorts of sounds. try a 'parking' speed full turn lock to lock. if its worse then and you get some 'clicking' its porbably the CV joints.

Have heard some clicking when 'parking' and full lock manourve's, I've already got a wheel bearing so will try that first and then start looking at CV joint etc.........cheers

cheers Steve,

knew you would be the man to clear it up with all the stuff you have done to yours :wink:

m1cah,

if you are having the hub off to look at the bearing then you may aswell check out the CV joint at the same time. clean it out with some white spirit, if there is any scoring or the race has play in it then that is a sure sign of wear.

its a enough of a pain in the arse as it is getting it all of and back together so you would be better off to kil two birds with one stone IMO.

stevemac is probably the best chap to discuss this with tho as i have only done limited stuff to mine cos its only done 62k from new!

cheers,

I got sick of trying to find out what was wrong with mine & replaced the whole lot (car had done 97k).

Both front shockers

Both top mounts

Both front wheel bearings

Both ball joints

Both front wishbones

Both inner & both outer CV joints

Ohh - I also fitted a full poly bush kit while I had the thing apart. :wink:

Had it "laser 4-wheel aligned" & it handles like a new car now.

how much did the laser alignment cost you?

mine needs doing since i have pulled the front end to bits!

do the poly bushes make it stiffer over the bumps?

while i had mine appart i did the ball joints, outer cv joints and top mounts on both sides too! 8) :lol:

replaced the wishbones a while back so they are ok.

whats it like doing the wheel barings cos i need to do one of my rears, got the kit from GSF but have yet to bring myself to doing it! :oops:

cheers,

Alex

Laser alignment cost me £80 but that also included fitting a OSF tie rod - I bent my old one.. :mad:

Can't really tell if the poly bushes made it stiffer or not - my whole suspension's lower & stiffer than standard.

Rear wheel bearings are a bit of a pain to do, but not very difficult.

It maybe a long shot but i had a rattling suddenly recently and was thinking all these things, got it on the ramp had a gd look and there is a rubber absorbtion bung thingy that sits in the middle of the steering rods. mine was loose and every time i drove it made a real vibrating, knocking noise as it bobbled and slid left and right... just superglued it back on.

Anyways its worth a check M1cah.

found the problem on the second attempt

tyre default approx 20 bleebs around 75% of front 2 tyres, replaced them and now driving mint

never would have though of the tyres until someone mentioned them

tyre default approx 20 bleebs around 75% of front 2 tyres, replaced them and now driving mint

Can you have another go at typing that please? For those of us that don't speak "m1cah"..

erm........ he may be saying that the tires had structural damage?? i had this with one of my back ones where the inner edge had knobblies like a landrover :shock: :lol:

Stands to reason vibration from the tyres could be the cause when the Status Quo (all things being equal, state of affairs - not the pop band!) dictates that all the mechanical aspects are OK. They are after all the only thing in contact with the tarmac.

sorry guys

yes there was a lot of structural damage to the inside edge of the tyre a manufacturing fault (currently awaiting refund!!!!!) as they've only been a short while and haven't been bumped or anything.

Did have it checked at my local garage who told me I needed my full drive shatf replacing at £570 plus fitting and if that failed then the dif in the gearbox was to blame didn't even bother with a quote for that one.

Did have it checked at my local garage who told me I needed my full drive shatf replacing at £570 plus fitting and if that failed then the dif in the gearbox was to blame didn't even bother with a quote for that one.

Very unlikely, although it is possible, that your complete driveshaft will need replacing. Usually common practice just to replace the inner & outer CV joints.

If your local garage are used to working on French cars - this is why they have suggested a full shaft - CV joints are integral to the shaft on French cars.

Only reason for changing Corrado driveshafts is either when they're bent or cracked. Either of these reasons would require immediate driveshaft replacement.

unless they didn't know what they were talkin about and fancied a hefty fitting fee,

Good heavens above !! What a suggestion to make, and in the "Season of Goodwill" too. :o

Best wishes

RB