Sign in to follow this  
Neil VR6

Flaky rocker cover

I'm having a bit of work (understatement of the year) done on my G60 and I would like to tidy up the rocker cover. It's gone very flaky over the past 112,00 miles and could do with a strip down and repaint. A couple of questions:

1. Is it easy to remove?

2. Should I use something like Nitromors to strip the old paint off?

3. Any suggestions for paint eg high temp paint plus a laquer perhaps or even polish it?

4. I'm going to change the gasket at the same time as it's leaking, are there any things I should be aware of like tightening bolts in a particular order or using some kind of sealing stuff to ensure a leak free rocker cover?

Any help or inspiring pics gratefully appreciated!

:)

Have it bead blasted prior to painting. I have done a few and then spray with VHT paint. You can get it in plenty of colours. If the blasting looks ok, you could just degrease it and spray it with laquer. Polish would be my last choice cos it'll take a long while to do yourself and cost loads to have someone do it for you.

Gavin

1) Yes, but it can be a bit fiddly unhooking it from under the cam gear...

2) Nitromores will work OK, but as Gav says, bead blasting's the best option...

3) Whatever paint you use, make sure it's oil stable... Smoothrite/hammerite won't do as it dissolves in oil/petrol and will look pants very quickly... Get a decent high temp engine laquer, or even an alloy wheel paint, and they should be fine... 8)

4) Rocker cover just needs the bolts tightening up properly, there's no set order, although I tend to tighten 'em in a similar order to the main head bolts just 'cos I'm a bit like that! ;) :lol:

I did mine with a good quality primer and then sprayed it with original VW Aqua blue (same colour as the car) and then 4 or 5 good coats of laquer... looked great and seemed to stand up to the temps reasonably well... 8)

Henny: You used VW Aqua Blue, I trust this is not a high temp paint. Does the laquer provide all the protection the paint needs?

Thanks for all your help guys :)

any 2k paint should be up to the job,i use it to paint brake calipers and its never come off and it is stable will oil and petrol.

Henny: You used VW Aqua Blue, I trust this is not a high temp paint. Does the laquer provide all the protection the paint needs?

Thanks for all your help guys :)

The rocker cover shouldn't actually get that hot, so, as 20v turbo says, any good car paint (2 pack or even celulose based) should hold up to the temperature with no problems... I used a genuine VAG paint and laquer spray and a good quality primer from my local motor store... 8)

It's just a shame I'm rubbish at painting, I always put too much on and get runs (actually, they're closer to Gallops! :lol: ) 'cos I get impatient with it... Odd really when I can spend hours working on a small component to get it to fit perfectly or hours tidying up wiring... :oops: :roll: :lol:

When I bought the car I got some Inca blue and some lacquer so I'll only need primer. Good stuff. Thanks for that, this mod should be good for at least 5 brake :lol: Any primer recomendations?