Sign in to follow this  
KARMANN

gear box

hi,iv got a 1.8 16V it doesnt do sixty in second and im convinced this is why it takes over ten seconds to get there.is there anyone out there who can either confirm that theres does the same or different?would getting the gearbox reconditioned help this or can it be adjusted?cheers

Reconditioning or adjusting won't change the ratios you have. I swapped into my G60, CCM ratios from a Golf VR6 when I had the box rebuilt. CCM is longer in every gear.

Cheers,im not that good with this gearbox thing.whats ccm ratios?are they easy to get ,where from?would they go in to my car?and whats the job like?thanks.

CCM ratios are used in the Golf VR6. It bascially involves getting a donor box and swapping most of the gearbox internals. I got a local gearbox firm to do it for me.

Karmann,

What speed are you managing to get in 2nd? I haven't done the arithmetic but I reckon you will have to be pulling something just over 7,000 rpm to get 60 mph from the standard gear. Don't forget that changing the ratio will mean the engine has to work a bit harder to pull it, so you might even find that it takes longer to hit 60 than it does now.

Just a thought

probaly around 50mph,its the only thing that i can think of thats preventing it getting there in around eight seconds.dont kno if it the standard gear box or not.

2cc Your maths are spot on (swot) :lol: just over 7000, :shock: Not Recomended Tried it last Night

Karmann,

To make the 16V do 60 in second would require lengthening the gears. I've been told by a tuning company that the gears on the C 16v are longer than the gears on the golf, same engine. that, coupled with a bit extra weight, is why the corrado feels slower.

Lengthening the gears will only make the car feel slower again at lower speeds (realistically everyday speeds).

Anyway, 60 is only a magic figure used by magazines etc.. IMO if the car feels like it has a bit bore punch low down, thats much better than being able to reach 60 in second, and suffer it feeling more sluggish around town. (I can get just over 55 in second anyway....)

thanks for your replies guy's,ehm thats me bugrd,cant think of any other reason why its not as quick as it should be.does anyone know what kind of results i should expect from a pressure test?just to see if its running at full power.