Sign in to follow this  
storm_warning

268 cams on standard chip?

I'm about to fit a set of 268 cams I've got hold of and I'm told they'll run okay with the standard chip. Is this true? I know I'll need it remapped to enable it to rev higher than 6.5K, but until then, will the standard chip run with the 268's okay?

Cheers,

Chris.

Yes. The MAF sensor will compensate to a degree but they're not wild enough to need any significant extra fuelling.

A remap would optimise your engine to the cams, but as it stands, you can just drop em in and run the car like that for as long as you want.

Thank God! At least I know I can put them in without the added cost of the rechip straight away. Thanks for that.

Has anyone here got just the 268's as their only engine mod? What's the recommendation for the rev limit once their on?

If you're planning on spending a lot of your driving in the 7000rpm region, you would be wise to invest in some strengthened valve springs. In fact Schrick insist on them for the 268s - but they don't bloomin well supply them with the cams tho - and theirs are expensive. To ease your mind, my tried and trusted mechanic (Stealth Racing) has never seen a busted standard spring using 268s....and I have standard springs on mine.

But then the majority of VR6 drivers don't go above 6000rpm anyway !

I would leave the limiter at as it is as the engine isn't producing power past 6,200 rpm.

Really? I was told with the cams the rev limiter will be cutting in just when the power is getting interesting, but from what you say it won't realy make any difference by leaving it. This mod is sounding cheaper to do all the time!

Should I be expecting to lose any of the low end power?

The late VRs have a rev limiter quite a lot lower than 7k - around the 6500 rpm mark, IIRC, anyway. You'd need a rechip if you want to go to higher revs, but it's not a great idea. This is a big engine to be throwing it around at that rate. Fine if you rebuild every six months...

The Schrick cams are really "designed" to work with the Schrick manifold - which provides slightly better flow at high rpm (by all accounts). I couldn't say how much, but there you go..

Really? I was told with the cams the rev limiter will be cutting in just when the power is getting interesting, but from what you say it won't realy make any difference by leaving it. This mod is sounding cheaper to do all the time!

Should I be expecting to lose any of the low end power?

Not too sure about that but I feel a definite 'second wind' from mine at about 5,500 rpm which just keeps barrelling toward the limiter like a man possessed. I would consider it a pointless venture of Schrick to make a cam lively just before or on the limiter!

By all means take the limiter out to 7,100 with a rechip but remember this engine is not a VTEC and torque will be on the downward slope way before 7000rpm.....

The biggest slug from the cams comes in at around 3500, which is also augmented by my VGI manifold....and then by 4000rpm (where the VGI's effect is spent) it's rocketing off again....

Not sure about bottom end loss when using just the cams, but expect a small loss. Probably won't even notice it to be honest and the idle remains factory smooth, well, as smooth as VR6s normally are at least.

GIAC is American and therefore tuned to their 2.8 engine. It would be better to get the Everett down to Stealth for a rechip and remap. It's quite expensive initially as the EPROM needs cutting off the board and a chip holder put in it's place. After that it's just a case of slotting a blank in and reprogramming it, so a little cheaper.

You can get piggy back systems but they're slower to react than onboard chips.