Sign in to follow this  
bigpants baby

fault code reader

Seems interesting

Would this work with a late VR6 - the one with 1 diagnostic port?

Do you know if this reader comes with a cable, or gives as much output as VAG-COM?

They don't decode, they just tell you the code numbers, so you have to go look it up in a book. Plus they're much less flexible than VAG-COM, in terms of taking measurements etc etc, but it'll do what it says on the tin, apparently. It'll read and reset fault codes, so for those that don't need any more than that, great.

If you have a laptop already though, freebie VAGCOM and a cheap cable (available on ebay for less than £40) is definitely the best all-round solution.

what else would you need to do than read/reset fault codes?

do people just get bored with slight tinkering,driving corrados & enjoying them rather then finding out the water temp is 0.6 too hot or that the rad fans are running 3 seconds longer than they should :?:

VAG-COM translates the code, e.g "G28 - Engine speed sensor - short to ground / implausible signal or No signal"

Fault code readers and VW1551/2 just say "00061238-001" and then you have to look that up in a cross reference book.

There are 15,000 possible codes across OBD1 and 2...... I'd rather pay £100 for a VAG-COM lead and have it tell me what sensor is dead than having to decipher it from a hard to come by reference book.

It's not a case of "ooh my temperature is 0.6 degrees too hot" with SLAG-COM, but rather "Ah, the G40 MAF sensor has a short to ground, better replace it". And you can do other things with VAG-COM that you can't with readers/resettors, such as monitoring measuring block information, setting idle speed etc etc.

well i dont know what other code readers you have seen,there is four digits on this one with around 2500 codes & yes it does come up with things like:41b8 tank breathing sys faulty,44b7 linear lambda probe/pump current short to earth etc

so it is just as good in that case & as for doings things like setting the idle speed etc,how many times are you going to that in a life time.

This unit is more complex than just reading 0001 "your having trouble with your engine,get it sorted"

In that case we take it *all* back, it's fantastic and marvelous, and everyone should have one.

I've just ordered two, they're that good! I'm sending my crappy VAGCOM back!