Sign in to follow this  
mrbeige

Lightening the flywheel?

What's involved with lightening the flywheel? What advantages does it give you? Are there any disadvantages :?:

purpose of flywheel is to develop, store and provide momentum to the crank (engine), and in doing so smooth the reciprocating action.

by lightening the flywheel you scoop out excess material which makes it lighter, and therefore easier to turn. advantage is this can provide quicker spool and facilitate revving, the disadvantages is you loose the stored momentum and become more reliant on the immediate energy of the engine - on hills it can be noticeable.

track cars which are primarily raced on the flat are best suited, but sure someone will shoot me down :D

got 1 on mine.The c 1s on the valvers are huge! i had mine done to half its weight with no downsides wot so ever

Make sure you get a proffesional to lighten and rebalance it. The consequences of a disintergrating flywheel at 6000rpm doesnt bear thinking about. For best results get a light clutch too

There is a downside, but in most cases you'll not notice, or the trade offs will be acceptable: you'll have more vibration transmitted under load, plus it'll be easier to stall the car.

And as said previously, make sure they know what they're doing!

Oh, and don't believe the hype. Your car will not make noticeably more bhp due to a lighter flywheel...

It won't lose you torque, because it doesn't affect the way that the fuel burns in the cylinder, pushing the piston down... The engine will have less inertia, though, which feels similar..

All in all a good mod then? Where could I get one from? Does anyone do them on an exchange basis?

Oh and how much are they?

My personal opinion? Save your money. Others on here have had it done and really rate it though, so each to their own.

If you want a light-feeling, revvy engine, great, go for it. But if you want more performance look elsewhere...

have a word with John Mitchell (16VG60 on here) I got mine through him and I think he may have some ready done for exchange purposes... 8)

I've got one on my G60, it makes the spin up and spin down times for the engine faster, but that can cause it to be a bit jerky if you're not used to it during lazy gear shifts as the engine will drop it's revs faster than normal meaning that as you lazily hit the next gear, the engine has slowed down past the rev speed where your road speed wants it to be due to the gearing... :|

Takes a little while to learn how to get around, but that's the only down side (as such) I've come across... 8)

Theres quite a bit about it on http://www.pumaracing.co.uk theres a calcclation that shows to every "x" amount removed from flywheel,in theory the car looses "x" amount of weight from its body.This means that having a lightened flywheel can make your car feel like youve shaved 200kg from the overall weight of the car.

Mine revs up easier and feels livelier for it,no stalling issues either and my mrs drives the car asweell without noticing it

I'm very happy with mine, no downsides at all. Don't expect huge differences in performance, it will feel a little more lively particularly in 1st, and a bit in 2nd though. To be honest contrary to what I expected I actually prefur it in traffic now, there is more engine breaking so as long as you can feather the throttle it is easier, because you have less need for using the brakes.

It obviously involves removing the gearbox and clutch, which will be costly, if you are not doing it yourself and have to pay someones labour, i'd wait until the gearbox has to come off.