Sign in to follow this  
rmn

space savers

another question for the knowlegable masses

is there a vw 4 stud 15 inch space saver?

all i have come accross is the 14's not 15's

I have seen a 15" 4 stud space saver from a late mark 2 Golf GTI on ebay a few months ago. I've also read but don't know if it's right that you still get a hump (oh err, missus! from a spacesaver) in the boot.

Suggest you try to find one in a breakers, this will probably be even rarer than finding a Corrado at a breakers, good luck.

yes you are correct there is such a thing as a 15" 4x100 space saver all 92> corrado's i think have them also have a larger fuel tank aswell

Yep, fairly sure mines a 15 incher...

in your dreams young man... "so ive been told anyway" :oops:

I have seen a 15" 4 stud space saver from a late mark 2 Golf GTI on ebay a few months ago. I've also read but don't know if it's right that you still get a hump (oh err, missus! from a spacesaver) in the boot.

Suggest you try to find one in a breakers, this will probably be even rarer than finding a Corrado at a breakers, good luck.

Yup - you're absolutely right about trying to find one at a breakers!

The tyres for the corrado spacesaver were apparently only made by conitinental in that size and I've been told by both VAG dealers and independent tyre places that they're out of production now.

Similar vintage audis also had 15" spacesavers but were different widths (typical seeing as these are common as muck!)

I ended up buying a second hand tyre from a VAG main dealer for £30!

moral of the story? -dont drive too far on your spacesaver !

It's worth noting that you don't actually need a space saver or any spare tyre infact to pass an MOT, alot of new LPG powered cars just come with a bottle of tyre weld and thats it to allow space for the gas tank...

I'm thinking of taking my space saver out and doing the same but I think its worth making sure you have a spare wheel at home somewhere just in case!

It's worth noting that you don't actually need a space saver or any spare tyre infact to pass an MOT, alot of new LPG powered cars just come with a bottle of tyre weld and thats it to allow space for the gas tank...

Indeed you don't - but from what I've heard, most puncture repairers won't fix a tyre which has been filled with that gooey paste.

I know its a rare occurrence but I'd just feel like such a tw*t if I had to call the AA out because I had a rusty screw half embedded in my tyre.

And have you heard about the audi TT? It also has a spacesaver in the boot. But the full size (punctured) wheel won't fit in the boot. So they give you a little PVC bag to put the (punctured) wheel in so you can pop it on the passenger seat. - Great - unless you already have a passenger in the passenger seat! Roofrack anyone?

Indeed you don't - but from what I've heard, most puncture repairers won't fix a tyre which has been filled with that gooey paste.

Aye, they can repair it, but most of them can't be bothered to clean the gunk out of the tyre first, so they just say they can't do it.

And have you heard about the audi TT? It also has a spacesaver in the boot. But the full size (punctured) wheel won't fit in the boot. So they give you a little PVC bag to put the (punctured) wheel in so you can pop it on the passenger seat. - Great - unless you already have a passenger in the passenger seat! Roofrack anyone?

:lol: yeah, superb design that is. And if you have the roadster version that doesn't have back seats, I don't think you can get the passenger seat back far enough to get the wheel in...

Can someone tell me what size the spacesaver tyre is? This is for a 1992 2.0 16v. I've just been told by the garage where it's being serviced that there is a nail in it and that I need a new one! Bit concerned by one of the posts that it might not be available any more!

I've got a different corrado since my 'they're discontinued' post four years ago!

My new 16v also has the 125/70/15 spacesaver and yes it is also a continental.

Hope you can find a replacement - let us know how you get on at the tyre shop!

I rang up my local independent tyre supplier and after quite a delay (I thought they must have been struggling to find me one) they rang back saying that they could get one in for tomorrow - and it's a Continental! I just want to double check the tyre when I get my car back from it's service later, and then I'll get them to order one for me and see if it turns up!

Blackcircles also do a spacesaver tyre:

Continental Eco Contact 135/70 R15 T

Slightly wider than standard, but would do the job.

Just got car back from it's service and checked the tyre before ringing tyre shop to order replacement. It seems that when I last used the space saver the tyre shop (different one to what I normally prefer to use) put the space saver back in the boot and forced it down into the well without looking to see that a two ended prong was lying at the bottom and hence they punctured bm spare through the side wall!

Also, I checked the size of my current space saver and it's actually 125 75 15, rather than being a 70, so that seems to differ from some other folks. Anyway I rang back my usual tyre shop to order the replacement and upon checking, they found that both the 70 and 75 were now discontinued (like I wasn't expecting to hear that!), and so they've ordered me a 125 80 15 which apparently Continental still make and should be fine as a spare.

One worry with an increased tyre profile like that is that it wouldn't fit properly back into the recess in the boot. I'm not sure what the profile on the tyre I have is, but it is pretty tight up against the side as it is! :?