Sign in to follow this  
CIPO

HELP HELP HELP!!!!

I've got a squealing noise from drivers side wheel. Doing some left foot braking while cruising along almost eliminates it but when braking to a stop the noise is worse.

This has been going on for months and has been taken to the garage too many times to remember.

The pads have been replaced(genuine vw) and also the discs. Anti squeal gel has been put on the packs of the pads, no change!

Could it be the 3mm spacer. I just dont get it, why it's only the drivers side.

I will drive the car off a cliff unless it stops asap.

Please help.

Cheers. :(

Seized caliper, or brake needs bleeding. If the pad is being constantly held against the disk, it'll overheat and start to squeal.

CIPO, have you had any work done on that hub before the noise started? Had similar on my Valver, drives you INSANE doesn't it. Turned out when I checked it all that stealers had distorted the drive flange when fitting new bearing. It doesn't need to be much out of true to cause the pads to rub and produce the squeal, though mine didn't make a noise when braking to a stop. But might be worth a look. A new flange and bearing, courtesy of stealers, fixed it.

CIPO-I had exactly the same situation & the problem was sorted when the hub (& front wheel bearing) was replaced, somebody calling himself a "mechanic" had caused the old hub to be damaged by careful use of a hammer-won't be going back there again!

2CC has already given very similar advice.

I had the same problem recently too from the passenger side...but it was sorted by stripping the brake, removing all the rust and crud and appling liberal amounts of copper grease. I very much doubt that the garage would bother to clean all the rust and debris from the brake caliper bracket, etc. that you might yourself.