Sign in to follow this  
joebloggsVR69

Top Gear

Very entertaining, just dont take it seriously. Most things in life are now down to the marketing men, just look at the charts!

The merc looked stunning from most angles, rear is wrong. The porker took 4 seconds off it though!!!! :mrgreen:

you reckon the lambo was just coasting then?

I was very supprised when it was pushing wide round the corners, as though the evo could hold a much tighter line, yet there was no sliding at all from the lambo, and the evo was all over the place!!!

dodgy.....

Didn't like the SLK much.....still looks more appealing to women than man. The Porsche was just all over it and looked a lot better too.

The porker is indeed better, the old boxster is good, the new one has the makings of an all time classic. Its one of those cars that you can grab by the scruff of the neck and throw around to your hearts content. Fookin lovely.

The SLK has got that "womens car" stigma associated. See one in the flesh and from the rear it looks like an Austin 1100 :lol:

you reckon the lambo was just coasting then?

I was very supprised when it was pushing wide round the corners, as though the evo could hold a much tighter line, yet there was no sliding at all from the lambo, and the evo was all over the place!!!

dodgy.....

Of course it wasn't coasting, but you could tell it wasn't being pushed as hard as it could have been and that 180 was probably deliberate! They should have given it to the stig to drive! On that little track, the Evo was only a couple of seconds off the pace of the Enzo too, but get the Lambo on a biggger track and it would make the Evo's task a lot harder.

Not knocking the FQ400 though, it's insanely quick which ever way you look at it. But that test just appeared to be rigged in the Evo's favour - until the second half of the clip that is, where JC crushed it with his usual put-downs :lol:

Yea, was disappointed that old JC seemed to be focusing on the cars bad points and wasnt really a very well rounded review. The fact is that it is clearly a quicker car than the lambo and cost 1/3 of the price, although the lambo is massivley more desirable. The guy who was driving the lambo was an ex professional racing driver so should be a far better driver than JC. The porsche boxster s looks set to cement it's place as the best roadster aswell.

A well rounded view on Top Gear?!? :rofl: God, you guys really make me laugh at times.... :roll: ;) :lol:

well, he *is* the reason because his ex-colleagues defected to Fifth Gear and I never watch that cause it's cr@p and Sticky Butler-Henderson and Stiff-Needle p1ss me off with their hammed-up acting.

Still...VBH. I wouldn't chuck her out of bed in a hurry! 8) Theres something about a Woman who knows her Cars :D

well, he *is* the reason because his ex-colleagues defected to Fifth Gear and I never watch that cause it's cr@p and Sticky Butler-Henderson and Stiff-Needle p1ss me off with their hammed-up acting.

Still...VBH. I wouldn't chuck her out of bed in a hurry! 8) Theres something about a Woman who knows her Cars :D

Ahh on that score the winner for me has to be the German Girl at the Nuburgring, damn sexy, good driver and she made Clarkson look an arse! (not difficult I know!) :lol:

Where's my german phrase book and that wedding ring?!!!! :wink:

I think Sabine is already married... maybe she has a sister or something though eh? :)

I think Sabine is already married... maybe she has a sister or something though eh? :)

Here's hoping, as long as she's an identical twin, with the same driving ability then Im there! :D

Full credit to Sabine's driving skills and her arse kicking of the Clarkson-meister, but final insult had to come when he was equalled around the test track by Sir Cliff "misletoe and wine, I'm a virgin" Richard!..................... top work! :rofl:

The lower spec Evo looks like the dogs-b****s. Super quick for the money - keeps seeing off supercars, be it on TG or in magazines.

Not sure about that Golf GTi, from the outside looks naff; better than befores bulk, but still naff. Cant argue with that bhp though. Its winning praise everywhere, incl the commercially orientated 5th gear.

What engine's in it to get 200bhp? Have they gone for turbos again?

It's a revolutionary new 200cc NA engine that develops 100bhp per 100cc :lol:

Nah, it's 2.0 FSi turbo. Apparently it is completely lag free and bags of torque at any rev range. That still won't stop hardened modders ripping it out and putting an R32 in it though!

Direct injection tuning may cause a bit of head scratching as I read somewhere there is much scope for improvement....

Aye, FSi engines squirt the motion potion straight into the cylinder instead of into a manifold like. This saves fuel as traditionally a lot of fuel is wasted as it makes it's way into the combustion chambers by sticking to manifold walls etc, and squirting the fuel precisely where it is need, exactly when it is needed has economy and power benefits too. Because the fuelling is so efficient out of the box on these engines, writing a chip that is significantly better will be hard work, but I'm sure someone will come up with something before long.

Rubber band under the bonnet? Is that what's under there? I didn't think it was anything that high tech. So I've been needlessly running the car along Fred Flintstone for the last two years? :roll:

The results of tuning the 2.0TDI seem to be very good, the 16v making it behave more like a petrol, gaining progressive power right to the red line. I agree with you that I wouldn't of thought there would be nearly as much scope for tuning on the 2.0T as the 1.8T.

This saves fuel as traditionally a lot of fuel is wasted as it makes it's way into the combustion chambers by sticking to manifold walls etc, and squirting the fuel precisely where it is need, exactly when it is needed has economy and power benefits too.

So how do they get sufficient air fuel mix and atomisation? Turbulent inlet tract?

Aye, FSi engines squirt the motion potion straight into the cylinder instead of into a manifold like. This saves fuel as traditionally a lot of fuel is wasted as it makes it's way into the combustion chambers by sticking to manifold walls etc, and squirting the fuel precisely where it is need, exactly when it is needed has economy and power benefits too. Because the fuelling is so efficient out of the box on these engines, writing a chip that is significantly better will be hard work, but I'm sure someone will come up with something before long.

Thats true up until 4000rpm, FSI operates under stratified charge at -4000rpm and homogeneous charge at 4000rpm+ load. The piston head has a slight curve in one side (best I can describe!) it so the petrol Burns more efficiently in Stratified mode. In homogeneos mode it runs like any other petrol engine (which is why nearly all of the power is high up). You'd do well to explain how it all works in one post, so I won't :lol:

My FSi is chipped from 86bhp to 101bhp. The only UK Importer currently offering a chip is Scotts Mototune in Dover (where I got mine done) which uses SKN chips.

FSi tuning yealds better results than normal petrol engines (and my MPG is up!), but its still nowhere near Diesel tuning :(

at010030.jpg

I have a Mitsubishi GDI engine in 1.8 guise and it is quite frugal

mind you anything over 3,000 rpm and it drinks fuel just like any other petrol 8)

it just looks like a petrol engine with a diesel fuel pump pushing in the petrol

Gasoline direct injection,shame it cant be converted to LPG :mad:

This saves fuel as traditionally a lot of fuel is wasted as it makes it's way into the combustion chambers by sticking to manifold walls etc, and squirting the fuel precisely where it is need, exactly when it is needed has economy and power benefits too.

So how do they get sufficient air fuel mix and atomisation? Turbulent inlet tract?

Not sure mate, higher pressure with a finer spray like PD injectors perhaps? Nelson's diagram below helps picture it.